Sherwin Williams "ProMar 200" paint?

Old 01-28-18, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sherwin Williams "ProMar 200" paint?

Last year I hired a professional painter to do some interior painting. I offered to buy the paint since I usually use Benjamin Moore products and prefer to stay with one brand. He said he will only do it if he gets the paint and he always get top notch Sherwin Williams. I said OK.

So this week I need to repaint part of the kitchen window area and need to match his paint...which is WHITE.

I have several cans of different WHITE, from Ultra White, to Extra White, to Super White, to Ceiling White...and none of them matched his white. So I had to go to a Sherwin Williams store to get his white. I brought along the empty can he left. I only need a pint, but oh well, guess I will buy a full gallon.

I went into the store and showed them the can. They said no problem and punched into the computer, and he asked if I have a contractor account, I said no. He said thank you it will be $77.

$77 for a gallon of paint? What?

He said yes, the paint you have is very low grade paint only sold to contractors. If you don't have a contractor account it's being sold at list price which is $72 plus tax.

Huh?

I thought I was getting TOP NOTCH PAINT? So it's low grade paint? But it's $72 a gallon to DIYers? I didn't buy the paint and didn't want to sign up for a contractor account either.

The paint is called "SHERWIN WILLIAMS PROMAR 200 EXTRA WHITE 6501-872".

I don't have the painter's number anymore. Any idea if I can get the same WHITE to match this with a Benjamin Moore product? Heck even a Home Depot Behr would be easier to deal with!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-18, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
I'm no expert, but yes, IIRC Promar is a pretty low grade I believe. I know I've seen it used on rental repaints. It's the bottom of their "Pro" line anyway.

No reason why it couldn't be matched, but you would be better off with some of the paint off the wall, not just by formula. Esp in a kitchen, the color could have changed somewhat. If you have some painted trim or a chunk of sheetrock that has the paint he used on it, that would be ideal...it's what I try to do. Though of course, one brands sheen is probably going to be different from anothers.

I also wonder about that pricing. I saw several mentions of price that put it more in the $25/gal range...though that was from a few years ago.

Have to wait for the pro's to weigh in to get more informed responses. I don't normally do the painting around my house, but I do buy the paint.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-28-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 10:22 PM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
Heck even a Home Depot Behr would be easier to deal with!

Dont go there, anything sold at HD is pretty crappy paint. Paint is one product where your going to get what you pay for.

I;m, a Pratt and Lambert user, their Accolade line is by far the best. it is in the $50 gallon range.

I tried some Sherwin Williams Duration for the basement, it was in the $40 range, should have stayed with PL.

Old 01-28-18, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
I know everyone says Behr is junk, but seriously...I've never had an issue with it...though I've never used the expensive stuff and probably never will. I mean, it seems to cover well enough (close to what the specs say) and doesn't chalk or fall off...it's paint, that's what it's supposed to do, right?

I'd pay more if it jumped out of the can, ran across the floor and climbed op the wall all on it's own...but I don't think they've made them THAT good yet.

I'd like to have an Audi S-5, but I don't think that's gonna happen either.

Old 01-29-18, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
ProMar is SWP's builder's grade paint, ProMar 200 is their best builder's paint. It is a lot better than the 400 [their best seller] and 700. I mostly used ProMar 200 on new construction and rentals. While it's adequate for a residential repaint, I'd rather use their SuperPaint or better. IMO $72 is extremely high for ProMar 200!

Old 01-29-18, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Mark, that's very odd. The 200 being the best I mean. Normally in most things, higher numbers mean higher quality/more expensive. My example sticking with the Audi's S3, S5, and S8. Fancier, more expensive the higher you go. F150, F250, etc is another. Just odd...

Old 01-29-18, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Ya, I always thought so too ...... but then they didn't consult me when they came out with that coating line

Old 02-21-18, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seems like I paid around $45 a gallon for the ProMar 200. Used it to paint a bedroom in 2010, and again on one wall and a closet (same bedroom, repaired after water damage) in 2014. No complaints. Of course, nobody smokes around here, so that's a plus. But if I paint again I'll just get some more PM 200. Unless, of course, it costs me $77 a gallon... that's a ripoff.

Old 10-16-19, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nothing wrong with Promar 200. Pretty much every office and bank is painted with it. It is also the paint architects call out in drawings for new construction and tenant improvements.

Lets be honest, unless you are rough on your walls, anything that holds pigment and doesn't come off when bumped is a good paint. If you wash them a lot, that is another story.

Also the reason numbers go up with cars is because it is either tied to cylinders or displacement.

S4/A4 was originally a 4 cylinder, S6/A6 a 6 cylinder and S8/A8 an 8 cylinder.
In Mercedes an E330 is a 3.3 liter and a S500 is a 5 liter

Old 10-17-19, 07:05 AM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
I thought that I was the only one that hasn't had a problem with Behr paint. I used Behr for all 7 rooms when we renovated and we had zero problems. Good coverage, easy application etc.