Peeling Paint From Leak or Humidity

Old 02-27-18, 09:16 AM
Peeling Paint From Leak or Humidity

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but I have peeling paint on the outside of chimney second floor. It got worse over the summer which makes me thinks it is humidity but the bathroom exhaust vent wasn't install properly also. I also have also have a hole in my chimney. If it was the flashing I suspect it would be worse then it is. It would make sense if it was being cause by the flue warming up in the winter causing condensation but as mentioned before summer time is when it had got worse. A chimney cap problem is seen more often at the bottom of the chimney. So I had 4 contractors overs with four answers and while repairs are needed I prefer not to needless repair or spend money. So any thoughts on that paint/chimney, is that something seen with humidity or more with a leak?

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-18, 09:41 AM
So any thoughts on that paint/chimney, is that something seen with humidity or more with a leak?

Considering there is a giant hole in the chimney and assuming the peeling paint is below the giant hole I would suspect that that water is a contender.

Regardless of what is causing the paint issue that hole has to be resolved!

Old 02-27-18, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
That's enough damage I would be thinking leak even if Marq hadn't pointed out the hole.

Old 02-27-18, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Humidity will only cause that much paint damage if the moisture is running down or coming from behind. Fix the leak first!