Paint peeling in top one corner where roof, external wall and internal wall meet

Old 04-07-18, 10:17 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint peeling in top one corner where roof, external wall and internal wall meet

Hi Everyone,

I have one question. We recently noticed that paint started peeling off from one of the corner (family room) where exterior wall, roof and internal wall meets. We don't see this issue any where else in the house. We are not sure what could be the cause of this issue. While doing my research I came across different reasons - ranging from water leakage to moisture to humidity to dust on wall or bad paint etc. I appreciate if any one can take look at below pictures and provide their inputs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Images     
Old 04-07-18, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That looks to be damage caused by moisture although I don't see any water stains. I'd scrape off all the loose. Hopefully do that will give you a better sense as to the cause. Depending on what the scraping leaves you'd either need to just apply joint compound or might need to reptape the corners.

Old 04-07-18, 02:57 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
What's your location?
If it's an outside wall and you live in a cold part of the country my first though it was caused by an ice dam.
I'd be looking in the attic for stains on the sheathing.
On the outside I'd be looking damaged or missing shingles, shingles with not enough overhang, no drip edging, clogged up gutters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: