Removing spray paint from concrete pillar

Old 04-09-18, 12:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing spray paint from concrete pillar

Hi everyone,

My son decided to try his hand at art by taking a blue spray paint can and spraying one of the concrete pillars on the front porch of the house. I went to the local Home Depot and the lady suggested Licquer thinner, spraying or wiping it on and then scrubbing it off. I've tried a variation of that where I spray the thinner on, and noticed that a lot of it comes off instantly if the spray is a hard blast directly on it. Scrubbing it seems to only move the "loose" blue paint around creating smudge type marks.

I have more of the licquer thinner left but I don't think it's going to do any more of a job then what you see. Any advice is appreciated as this is a rental home so I really need to take care of this and soon.

On another note my son also spray painted some yellow paint on the back steps (wooden). Should I try the same stuff?

Attached Images   
Old 04-09-18, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Keep using the lacquer thinner and a wire brush on the stone.
Keep the spray paint away from the kids.

You may try using Goof Off too.

I would have gotten the paddle for that maneuver.

Old 04-09-18, 01:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Goof Off will work on latex but I doubt it will work on solvent based paint [what's in a spray can] Sometimes it's easiest to just paint over it.

Old 04-09-18, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You might try one of the specific graffiti removers. Goof Off makes one, as does GooGone as well as other brands. They don't work that well on surfaces like cinder block, but they do work pretty good on stone. A Public Works guy came and did a block wall behind my house and we talked about it. He wound up lightly sand blasting to get it off the block, but it worked pretty well on the smoother concrete.

Old 04-09-18, 06:55 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Careful use of a power washer in conjunction with above suggestions may help.

Old 04-09-18, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yeah, paint stripper, brush cleaner or a graffiti remover, aka vandal mark remover.

Old 04-10-18, 09:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is a Limestone slab, it's porous so the paint really soaked in.

I doubt the solvents will get into the stone. Give them a try, then the power washer, if that doesn't clean up a sand blaster will take off enough material to get the paint off.

Will have to cover everything with heavy tarp to protect!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: