Mildew on Bathroom Closet Ceiling

Old 04-21-18, 05:16 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mildew on Bathroom Closet Ceiling

Noticed some flaking ceiling paint on a bathroom closet ceiling but didn't realized there was also some mildew until I got in there to prep it for painting.
I removed most of it with bleach and water but have to do a better job before I start to paint.

This closet is right off the bathroom and there has never been a problem like this in 40 years. It has a solid door and I've tried to keep that open for air circulation but am wondering if I am doing it the opposite and should keep it closed? I could also just remove that door.

The mildew has to be from condensation so I'm now running a dehumidifier in the bathroom itself. Unfortunately, there has never been an exhaust fan in this bathroom.

What primer should I use before I start to paint with a semi-gloss this time? This is drywall, high ceiling.

Thanks.

Last edited by Smoktie; 04-21-18 at 05:19 AM. Reason: more information
Old 04-21-18, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
B-I-N pigmented shellac. It's a white primer that will cover anything. If you can still see it through one coat, two will cover.

Old 04-21-18, 05:41 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Condensation is a result of humid air and a cool surface. What is above that closet ceiling? If it is a cold attic you should check the insulation above and probably increase it.

Leaving the door open or even installing a louvered door will help to exchange the air inside. Mold in closed closets is a common issue.

Bud

Old 04-21-18, 05:47 AM
S
Thanks to both of you for such fast replies.
There is an attic over this ceiling but it has a couple feet of insulation, done about 15 years ago.
I'm going to just remove that door, maybe that will solve this.

Old 04-21-18, 07:04 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Is the closet on an exterior wall?
Outside walls will usually have less insulation over them and more exposure to incoming ventilation air flow. That incoming air can be flowing right through that 2' of insulation, a process called wind washing.

Does the closet share a wall with the bathroom?
Moisture from the bathroom can move through sheetrock to reach the closet. Interior walls will usually not incorporate a vapor barrier, but there are paints that can block much of the moisture.

Removing the door should help.
Best,
Bud

Old 04-21-18, 07:56 AM
S
No, the closet is not on an exterior wall. It does share the bathroom walls thou on two sides.

The whole closet is 2.5' x 5.5' long - 8 foot ceiling. The tub/shower wall is on one end of the closet.

I could use a paint recommendation, too.
Thank you.

Old 04-21-18, 08:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Use a bath rm paint - it has extra mildewcide in it. Or you could add extra mildewcide to your choice of paint.
Zinnser's PermaWhite is a great mildew resistant paint but it can only accept a small amount of colorant.

Old 04-21-18, 04:06 PM
S
I got a mildew resistant, stain blocking paint (semi-gloss) but I'm still going to put some Zinsser mold blocking primer on first. At least on the ceiling where I noticed the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-03-18, 07:08 AM
S
Walls

Now I have decided to paint the walls in this bathroom. They are Marlite so have a glossy surface.

I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra (mildew resistant) for the closet. The can says it can be used on a glossy surface with scuff sanding. Is this right?

I really don't want to use an oil primer so was hoping a couple coats of the Behr Premium Ultra paint and primer would work.

Thanks again.

Old 05-03-18, 07:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not very familar with Behr coatings, is it a satin or eggshell? Normally a lesser sheen adheres fine after a scuff sand. IF the existing paint is oil base - then it's best to use an oil base primer first.

Old 05-03-18, 07:54 AM
S
It is a semi-gloss. It is soap & water clean up so I don't think it is oil.

Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint & Primer | BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA® | Behr

Old 05-03-18, 08:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That paint is latex.
Have the walls been previously painted or is the marlite as it was when manufactured? is this a mobile home? I hadn't heard the term marlite before and had to look it up - if it's what I think it is - it should have a solvent based primer first.

Old 05-03-18, 08:20 AM
S
No, it's a stick built house and this bathroom was redone in 1979 when Marlite was used a lot. Comes in 4 x 8 sheets with a design on it, and was used in kitchens and bathrooms at that time.

It's been great to keep clean but now that it is 40 years old it is showing wear. Had never been painted before.

So will the Behr Ultra work? Maybe I should continue with the Zinnser mold killing primer thou I don't see any problems like that on the Marlite. Mildew was just on the bathroom closet ceiling.

Old 05-03-18, 08:25 AM
S
Old 05-03-18, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be leery of painting it without a scuff sand and solvent based primer first. I've not painted a lot of it but what I have painted, I primed first and it held up well.

Old 05-03-18, 02:50 PM
S
Okay, Thanks Marksr. I'll scuff and use oil primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: