Exterior Paint Texture

Old 10-07-18, 03:52 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Paint Texture

I need some thoughts/options to apply a texture to the exterior of a house I am renovating.It is located in South Central Texas about 75 miles NW of San Antonio. It was built in 1986 according to the county records The existing siding board and batten plywood with what appears to be just a coat of white paint which is in extremely poor condition and has resulted in some deterioration of the plywood surface, I plan on power washing and spot sanding the plywood and then prime it with Kilz 123 and topcoat it with Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior paint. I will also be replacing all of the battens and trim with new trim.

So here is my dilemma. The plywood has the usual surface defects such as the "eyes" where knots or other defects have been corrected and some weathering of the exterior ply. I am concerned that these defects will telegraph through the paint. So I would like to apply some sort of light texture to the siding to help hide these problem areas, I was hoping that there might be a product that I could apply which would provide texture before applying the paint. Or is there a product I could add to the primer or paint to achieve the same result? The one time in the past that I used a paint additive I had difficulty maintaining a texture because the texture additive would settle to the bottom.

I have checked with Homax and they have only interior texture products,

So any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 10-07-18, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Kilz 123 ?? or do you mean Zinnser 123 an oil base exterior wood primer would be better.

I wouldn't texture the siding! You can apply caulking or an exterior spackling over the knots and/or other defects. Often a fresh coat or two of paint will make minor defects less noticeable on exterior siding. If the plywood is delaminating there isn't much you can do to dress that up. That plywood should be replaced.

Old 10-07-18, 08:54 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Please post a picture so we can see what your seeing.

Old 10-10-18, 09:56 AM
R
marksr,

Actually I meant Kilz 2 primer. I looked for the Zinser 123 oil based primer on-line but only found water based that "is as good as oil based. Sherwin Williams has an oil based primer but it is in excess of $60 per gallon which is WAY too expensive for this application.

joecaption,

I struggled with trying to attach some photos I took but had no luck. The FAQ instructions did not match anything on any of the screens I pulled up. So the best I can do is just say picture if you will just some ole weathered plywood with the outer layer having the starts of delaminations/bubbling/buckling about 1/16th of inch in relief.

Thanks all for your help

Attached Images    
Old 10-10-18, 11:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Ugh. Kilz 2 is the last primer I would ever use, doesn't seal anything and has known adhesion issues.

Old 10-11-18, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Scraping and a little sanding along with a couple coats of paint [primer if needed] will make it look decent. Any texture paint might look better initially but sooner or later when it starts to peels the siding will look worse. I also don't use or recommend Kilz2!

Old 10-13-18, 02:44 AM
R
Thank you all for your feedback. While I have used Kilz for years with no negative results, you have convinced me to switch to a better product. I will bite the bullet and spend the extra $$$ for this project.

Old 10-13-18, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Kilz premium is way better than kilz 2.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: