Painting over polyurethane.

Old 06-19-18, 11:51 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over polyurethane.

Hi,

I need a little advice. I did cabinets using Bombay Mahogany Polyshades a few years ago. The job came out good. She has now decided that she would like them white. Myself, I thought the cabinets looked fine before I did them(light oak) and after I did them(Bombay Mahogany). The only real issue we had was how long the poly smell stayed around.

I would usually use BIN over polyurethane. I've never painted a full set of cabinets with it though. It certainly has a bit of a smell to it that would be rough though I doubt it would be as bad as the poly as it is denatured alcohol. The topcoat paint is your standard latex enamel low voc. I've painted over laminate cabinets successfully by scuffing and then using bonding primer over them and then following with latex enamel.

I know the BIN will work but I know there are odorless oil based primers. Is there another less smelly option for this?

Old 06-19-18, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
I think you answered your own question... a low voc oil primer.

Old 06-19-18, 01:00 PM
D
My options locally atm are Kilz Original(which says low voc) or Kilz Odorless oil based.

I have no experience with these two products over polyurethane. I've used Kilz original for other things. Would they fulfil my need? I do have a Porter and Sherman Williams store locally. My issue is that even with dedicated paint stores I end up talking to someone who I highly suspect has never used a paintbrush.

If it was mine, I'd probably sand it and use BIN or a bonding primer on it. I can deal with both the smell and if I had to redo it at home but not for someone else.

Old 06-19-18, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
While it's been a long time, I have used the original Kilz successfully over poly/varnish. I don't remember if I've ever used the odorless but as long as there is no wax or finger oil and the poly is scuff sanded - most any oil base primer should do fine.

Old 06-19-18, 04:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Keep in mind that while BIN does have an odor, I don't think it's one which persists for a long time.

Old 06-20-18, 03:18 AM
D
I use shellac a lot indoors for refinishing and French polishing. I mix it myself to specific colors. I have a carbon filter setup that I use if I'm doing multiple pieces but the smell of denatured alcohol doesn't bother me in the slightest. I use it for rifle stocks though and the largest jobs I've done with it is racks for my rifles to hang on the walls. I popped a can of BIN open at the store and it certainly smells worse than straight shellac with denatured alcohol. The only solvent in it that I saw was the denatured alcohol, so I assume it is the smell of the oil base. I will pop open an odorless one today and check. I'm only doing the frame inside, the rest will be done outside, so I may just go with the bin if the smell is similar. I've been reading and a lot of people say the odorless is anything but odorless. BIN

Anyone ever wonder why people only need things done when it is the middle of summer in Florida? lol "Hey, help me pour this concrete slab... in July..." "Hey, I need some help running wires through my attic... in June... " "Can you come clean the coils on my AC.... in the attic... in July... " Seems like January when it is 70 is the right time to do these things.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by David Roberson; 06-20-18 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
BIN is a pigmented shellac. It's been a long time since I've used a shellac finish but the odor should be similar. I suffer from occupational overexposure of solvents so if I need to apply a good bit of a solvent based primer/finish inside I'll wear a respirator - helps a lot! Once the primer has tacked up you can open windows and set a fan to help exhaust the fumes quicker.

I used to work in central fla and the first day of spring or summer always amazed me - I thought that was months ago. Working outside in the heat/humidity didn't bother me so much but I'd hate to get in an attic any month that wasn't part of winter!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: