Suspending motorcycle parts so edges can be painted

Old 06-25-18, 07:29 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Suspending motorcycle parts so edges can be painted

It's time for a paint refresh on one of my bikes.

If I lay the pieces on the ground, they'll have to lay on edge. and thus that edge doesn't get painted unless I wait for it to dry and readjust the position.

Is there any type of stand that can secure the pieces from the bottom? If not, is there a technique or other makeshift solution that allows the pieces to be suspended from the bottom?

The pyramids and other stands would work for the heavier pieces like the gas tank but for the lighter trim pieces, they'd need to be secured.

Or should I just plan on spraying once, drying, then changing the position and spraying again?

Old 06-25-18, 07:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You could drive some nails through a scrap of plywood. The nails would then hold your part up in the air so you can paint the edges. Most often though I hang the parts with a piece of wire or metal hook.

Old 06-25-18, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO the only 2 options is spray them twice or suspend them from the ceiling [or whatever] with wire/string. The latter method is the preferred one.

Old 06-25-18, 10:56 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
My opinion of painting anything, particularly vehicle parts or something along that line, is that it's the prep work that requires the most patience and ingenuity. For one or two pieces of something like you're working on I'd probably use a tree limbs as long as the leaves or seeds weren't falling at the time. But when that doesn't work I've used a few 2x4's arranged like a swing set any number of times. A ladder and a fence post could suffice. When I've had a variety of small parts that I want to paint all at one time I've run a chain between a couple of posts so I could run wires through the links and know the pieces won't slide like they possible could on a rope. Or if you want to go the other way, support them from the bottom, the opening in the top of a fuel tank could fit over a stake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: