best paint for windows with condensation

Old 07-08-18, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best paint for windows with condensation

All the doors, windows and trim in my house are white painted. In the winter the inside of the windows get some frost and condensation from using the humidifier so now some of the white paint on the windows is cracked and chipping off. I have sanded and repainted some of the windows already but I need to redo more of them. I have been using the same Sherwin Williams primer (Premium wall and wood primer) and paint (ProClassic Interior Alkyd satin enamel) that was originally used but it only seems to last a few years before I have to redo them again. I'm wondering if I should be using something different since the paint is subject to water.

Would I be better off using an exterior paint? Or maybe some kind of rubber coating like Flex Seal or Rust Oleum Leak Seal? Thank you for the help!

Terrence

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-18, 11:21 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Sherwin Williams is pretty good paint so you have that covered.

I'd suggest controlling the amount of moisture to reduce condensation and frost as the root cause of the paint issues.

If your getting condensation the water level in the house is too high!

Old 07-08-18, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I tried reducing the humidifier but then I get a lot of static electricity and dry skin. I'm at the point where I am going to put up with condensation on the windows and hopefully finding a paint that will last longer.

Old 07-09-18, 03:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Not sure a different paint is the answer. Reducing humidity or at least more air circulation around the windows should help a lot. Maybe opening the curtains more often will help.

Old 07-09-18, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
It's not the paint. Water is getting under your paint because it soaks into the bare edge that faces the glass. I agree that reducing humidity (along with running fans, not closing drapes, doors and blinds) -will help prevent the condensation in the first place.

Some people find that 3m window insulator kits placed over the trim to cover the entire window also help.

Old 07-09-18, 07:44 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Hi Terrence,

Curtains were mentioned but I'll ask if the condensation is happening on windows where curtains are blocking air flow?

You have conflicting conditions, high humidity and dry static? There should be a balance somewhere. Pick up a meter to be able to put some numbers on your humidity and include the temperature at the same location and time, RH changes with temperature. Also check different locations in the house, different rooms, near windows vs center of room and such. I realize it is summer so prepare for next season. Maybe you have some numbers already??

Also, windows have a rating for condensation, are yours newer such as double pane and gas filled. Single pane windows would form condensation very easily. Not that you are going to replace the windows but in an effort to understand what is happening.

How old is the house?
Finished basement?
Any moisture issues down there?
Approximate location so we can judge climate?

Bud