Looking for recommendations for an adhesive to secure automotive badges

Old 07-11-18, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for recommendations for an adhesive to secure automotive badges

Usually when I do a paint job, going badgeless is part of the desired look/outcome.
In this case I want to sell the vehicle but since the badge is "sunken" it's hard to tape it properly so I was just going to remove the badge using lacquer thinner.
The question is, what adhesive to the automotive makers use to secure their badges in place?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-18, 08:59 AM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
3M makes a thin double sided adhesive tape that is used for emblems, available at all auto parts stores

Old 07-11-18, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
3M weatherstrip adhesive will also work, but it can be messy and hard to clean up if you let the errant adhesive set. I'm not familiar with the adhesive tape but it sounds like it would be more user friendly.

Old 07-11-18, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
To remove badges stuck on vehicles I use dental floss. First thoroughly clean the area around the emblem or trim to remove. Then take a long piece and get it underneath the edge of the badge or emblem. Then pull the floss back and forth underneath the emblem. The floss will work like a saw to cut the adhesive without harming the finish. Then once the badge is off you can rub or use solvent to remove the adhesive.