New to airless painting. Need some advice

Old 07-31-18, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New to airless painting. Need some advice

Hello,

I recently purchased a Graco Power Painter Plus. I decided to buy this to reduce the work related to my various painting projects. Yesterday was my first attempt with the unit. The setup was simple. In no time I could apply paint. It went on and looked really good.

Then came real pain- cleanup. Graco makes it look so easy in their training videos. Only problem is they ignore the scrubbing of buckets, hoses, spray gun. nozzles, and pump.

When I combine the time of masking off for overspray and all the cleanup I really believe I would have been better off using a roller and paint brush.

That said, it was my first project. I thought someone here may have some tips to cut the time for cleanup.

Can someone here help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-18, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
While I'm not familiar with that particular unit, I have yrs of experience using and cleaning commercial grade airless pumps. It is important to clean the unit up well so you won't have any issues the next time you use it. I generally use a garden hose on the bucket and snout. The rest is just a manner of running water [or thinner] thru it until it comes out clean. Don't forget to remove and clean the filters.

I own 2 Titan 660s but I rarely spray repaints as the prep and clean up often negate any time savings.

Old 07-31-18, 07:11 AM
The actual cleanup of the pump, lines, etc is easy and quick. I like to keep my equipment to look like new. I find the real time I spend is cleaning the cleanup buckets and overspray off the spray gun, nozzle, and hoses.

If all did was clean the unit as shown in the Graco videos the unit would work fine, but covered in overspray. I was thinking I could speed cleanup by using disposable bucket liners and a plastic bag over the spray gun leaving a hole for the spray nozzle.

I don't think I am being anal about cleanup. I just know if I leave the overspray on all these components it will be a mess in a couple years.

Old 07-31-18, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be worried about any type of disposable bucket liner being sucked up by the pump. My pumps/guns along with all my other painting equipment have some paint on them. I've been more concerned with the money made or time saved with my pumps rather than keeping them look brand new. Every so often I'll tear my guns down and soak them in lacquer thinner. You could use denatured alcohol to soften and removed dried latex paint.

Not sure if covering the majority of the gun in plastic would work - might impeded how it works but it's not like it would cost you anything to try. I would not cover the pump because it might cause the motor to overheat.

Old 07-31-18, 12:40 PM
I know what you mean about the bucket liners. I thought that, too. I think I will just set aside a couple buckets for this purpose only and not worry if there are a few paint stains on them.

I am no pro. I will only use this maybe once a year and want to keep it looking new.

Thanks for the cleaning tips!

Old 07-31-18, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless a bucket is old and scratched up you can fill it with water, let it set a day or two and then the dried paint generally peels right off.