REFINISH METAL BED

Old 05-18-01, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently bought a new metal bed (made in China )with a "powder" paint finish (mild texture ) in off white. Love the bed but would have preferred a black or dark "metal-like" finish.With all the new types of paints and stains on the market I was wondering if anyone knew of an appropriate product to use over existing finish to achieve desired look ?

Old 05-23-01, 01:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Powder paints can be tricky especially if they come from overseas. You don't know if it is a polyester or epoxy or acrylic. Powder coatings can be very hard and smooth so in order to paint over it, you need to rough it up and make it look dull. After doing that, you should be able to prime with an alkyd based primer. I would suggest one without linseed oil. Then you could also use an alkyd topcoat. Because it is a bed I would think that you would want a nice finish. You will not get that it you have to use a brush. You may want to go to a paint shop that does piece work and have them spray it for you. They will have available higher quality finishes then alkyd finishes. Higher quality finishes will last longer then an alkyd finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: