sanding/painting outside covered porch/deck

Old 09-18-18, 04:43 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
sanding/painting outside covered porch/deck

Im repainting my exterior deck with some of that restore epoxy'ish paint. I just want the wood to give me a few more years before I rip/replace. It reccomended two cleaners/strippers to use prior for prep but the stripper didnt seem to get 100% of the old solid stain off. I was going to hit it with my belt sander in a few areas prior to the second cleaner but wasnt sure what might be the best grit to use. The wood in areas is pretty soft and actually furred up a bit. Id like to smooth it up but its not mandatory, Im more interested in the paint adhereing.

what might be my best course here? Id like to just do whatever grit would be basic for a single pass without having to use multiple grits. this is just to clean it up a bit more before the cleaner and paint.

thanks

Old 09-18-18, 08:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use or recommend those restore type deck coatings. When they fail you have a bigger mess to fix before you can get the deck decent looking again. I'd clean the deck and apply a coat or two of solid latex stain. It will last 2-4 yrs and is easy to get ready for another coat if you still aren't ready to replace the deck.

Old 09-18-18, 08:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
do a little search on this site, I dont think there has ever been a post that anybody has seen a good result from that stuff.

Actually many class action law suites taking place!

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/class-...-deck-restore/

Old 09-18-18, 09:02 AM
I prepped and restained a few years ago. I got about a year of decency out of it before it started peeling and cracking. Of course we had the worst winter in YEARS that same season so I guess that doesnt help.

so no one has had any good luck with it? This is the behr version, not sure if its the same. Dont think I can return the bucket. I like the fact it had the non slip texture in it. Maybe Ill do the smaller walk area just outside the entrance in it (since it cant be returned) and the rest in regular stain again. If I get 4 years or more with some random touch ups and it saves me re planking then Ill be happy.

Old 09-18-18, 09:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I don't know if one brand is much better than another. The trouble with those types of coatings is the thickness/texture. Once moisture gets under the coating it will start to fail. It's virtually impossible to prevent moisture from getting under a deck exposed to the elements. When that type of coating fails you have a bigger mess to deal with than just flaking or worn away stain.

Old 09-18-18, 10:04 AM
yeah I kind of had a feeling about that honestly. I think Ill just go with the plan I made up just to at least test the stuff. Im so curious. Ill do the walk area (of course more high traffic) which is only about 5x8 in this stuff, then the rest of the planks in just a stain of the same color. either way I feel in about 5 years or so Ill be re planking with composite.

Old 09-18-18, 10:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
so no one has had any good luck with it? This is the behr version, not sure if its the same.
Not that I would use that type of product but, if I did, that would be the last brand I would use.

Old 09-18-18, 10:42 AM
really, I actually love Behr paint. My pops was a painter/taper for his entire life and only used benny moore but when he was helping me with my house and started using the behr Id buy he was pleasantly surprised. you can thin that stuff for years and keep getting a full bucket lol. Valspar is complete and utter trash though. I like sherwin as well.

Old 09-21-18, 06:58 AM
well i grabbed a belt sander and 80 grit paper, hopefully this wont tear it up to bad. regardless which paint/stain I use, I would like to sand it a bit to clean it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: