Epoxy basement floor and bathroom Primer first?

Old 10-04-18, 11:10 AM
Epoxy basement floor and bathroom Primer first?

We have about 250 SQ FT at the bottom of our house, we had the house about 3 years and decided to redo the carpet in the upstairs and put down hardwood.

But the bottom is concrete the entire floor, I thought this would be a good chance to use a high gloss epoxy. I already ripped up the carpet and crappy vinyl that was in the bathroom, took me a couple days to get the glue out of the bathroom.

The concrete is in ok condition its the house is only about 12 years old, there are cracks and pits I need to fill in, not a huge deal. But the bathroom concrete looks like there is water damage as in discolored.

Everywhere I look when they say to apply epoxy is you put it straight on clean concrete. The question is could I prime it with a white KILZ product first then put like a light metallic grey epoxy on top of that? Will that work or will the Kilz prevent it from adhering to the concrete.

It does not need to look the best just want something that is waterproof to a degree and look decent.

The 250 sq area is, hallway from the garage, bathroom, landing and man cave.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-18, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Read the epoxy label, some are very specific on what primers can or can not be used. I wouldn't use any Kilz as the primer for a painted floor.

Old 10-04-18, 04:21 PM
Typ epoxy requires an absolutely clean virgin concrete surface, that;s why they grind or shot peen the floors,

Old 10-04-18, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
You also should check your floor for moisture. Epoxy doesn't like water vapor pushing it's way up from below.

Many people mistakenly think that epoxy is an easy, cure all product. It is not. I have found it to be one of the more fussy and difficult products. It certainly has it's place and I have a garage with a 10 year old epoxy floor that still looks great but you really need to research the products you are considering and read all the instructions. You need to follow the instructions, not get "creative" and not cut corners.

Old 10-05-18, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I already did some kilz on the landing, i can just acetone that off with my scraper. Maybe just put down a concrete sealer or 1 step epoxy, just want to have it painted is all maybe get a few throw rugs if things get ugly :-) The concrete is far from perfect, much discoloration, and lots of small holes to fill, seem like 2 part epoxy is not a good fit for this unless I really resurface the concrete? Just wanted something that will suffice better than bare concrete that does not break the bank or my back

Old 10-05-18, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A solid concrete stain requires the least amount of prep and is a little more forgiving than enamels/epoxies. Although it doesn't have a sheen.

Old 10-07-18, 08:23 AM
Could I just apply like a acrylic gloss over it?

Here is what I was planning on getting for the project, let me know if this is dumb or wasting money
  1. BEHR Premium 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Bonding Primer

2. BEHR Premium 1 gal. #N520-2 Silver Bullet 1-Part Epoxy Concrete and Garage
  3. Eagle 1 gal. Armor Seal Urethane Modified Acrylic Glossy Durable Water-Based Low Clear Concrete Sealer

Old 10-07-18, 09:03 AM
If it;s a Behr product do a little searching on this site for all the horror stories get something from a real paint store!