painting new floor

Old 05-21-01, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
We want to paint an old floor that is partially fir boards and old linoleum. We think the thing to do is put down birch plywood and we want to paint that. Do we need to do more than prime the birch first? Will there be shrinkage? Will the plywood be uneven over the linoleum? And lastly, how many coats of polyurethane(or similar product)?
Thanks
Trish

Old 05-25-01, 05:51 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
trishr, The first thing that comes to mind is why Birch if you want to paint it? It costs more than two times a good 5 or 7 ply Fir or Pine. If going for the strength of Birch try the Fir. What ever you use if painting prime with an oil based primer. I can't advise whether the wood will shrink or expand but I would worry about it expanding and bucking. I know when using ply under carpet they use nails as spacers to prevent the bucking. The ply should ride over the flooring without a problem. If using polyurethane(or similar product) two to three coats should get you a good job. I use varnish for floors because it is harder and although it tends to yellow some I kind of like that...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: