Tacky Cabinets

Old 10-28-18, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tacky Cabinets

I am painting my cabinets with a latex paint (in my budget). I have done all the proper prep, using a HomeRight Finish Max sprayer and sponge brush on the edges. The pant is coming out great.
I am concerned that when I re-install the cabinet doors, the two freshly painted surfaces will stick. Even after a week of drying, if I lean one of the doors against another surface it seems to stick. The paint does not feel sticky to the touch.
Any tricks to prevent stuck doors?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-18, 11:31 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Until or if it dries to a hard surface (humidity might cause it to take a long time) you might consider using those small round self stick bumpers on each surface.

Old 10-28-18, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Norm. I had considered something like that. I will look for them online thanks.

Old 10-29-18, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Were these cabinets previously painted? what prep was done?
Latex enamels take longer to cure, some of the cheaper brands take a really long time. How long has it been since you applied the last coat of latex enamel?

Old 11-02-18, 04:07 PM
The paint is a cheaper. Glidden.
The last coat was a week ago and the cabinets were longer. I only have one day to do work on the house. The doors still seem to stick to the surface that I have leaned them against. I move them daily to prevent to much stick. This is just one painted door and one piece of cardboard. I imagine that the painted door and the painted cabinet would really stick together.
I sanded the "shine" off my previously stained and lacquered (15 years ago) cabinets and doors and cleaned with degreaser and wiped with a tack cloth. Degreaser first, then sanded, then wiped off.

Old 11-02-18, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I understand budget but you might be done already if you'd use higher quality paint. Just something to keep in mind for your next painting project.

Old 11-03-18, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you use a primer between the 'lacquer' and the Glidden enamel? if so, which primer?

Old 11-03-18, 08:43 AM
No primer. The paint base I used is a combo.
I am beginning to regret using a cheaper paint, but unfortunately my fiancee will squeeze a nickle until the buffalo cries.. It becomes an chore convincing her to buy a more expensive paint. She can't see past the price. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".
I think I will install the doors and place a small piece of wax paper or something else for a month or so until I am confidant they won't stick anymore.
Would a heat gun help cure the paint?

Old 11-03-18, 11:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt a heat gun will help and too much heat will make the paint bubble up and come off [heat guns can be used in paint removal]

The primer in the paint is just a marketing ploy as most repaints don't need a primer. Without using a dedicated primer it's likely the paint will chip, maybe peel.

Old 11-03-18, 04:58 PM
That sucks. Well, I am just going to punt, I notices that the hinges I ordered came with small rubber bumpers that will keep paint to paint contact, I will just touch up the surfaces if they chip or peel. Next time I paint I will use a better product.