New wall in bathroom what primer and paint?

Old 11-02-18, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New wall in bathroom what primer and paint?

You who know more about paint than I have mentioned what is a good paint for a bathroom. I just replaced a wall in a bathroom and have finished the drywall. With what should I prime the new wall and adjacent angles and remind me what kind of paint is good for bathrooms. There is an exhaust fan and the new wall is not near the shower.

Thanks for the helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-18, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Zinnser primer although there are a lot of other good brands also. I'd shy away from a PVA primer. Bath with a shower should always have a latex enamel on the walls/ceiling - any sheen. Bath paints are better yet as they have extra mildewcide.

Old 11-02-18, 04:13 PM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
I have never used anything more than PVA primer, the paint is the key, nothing from BBS {big box store}.

My go to paint is Pratt Lambert, have yet to find anything that outlasts, meaning, its cheaper than cheap krap!

Old 11-03-18, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
PVA primers are the cheapest. They do ok under flat paints although the flat paint might be less scrubable than it would be with a better primer. When using latex enamels over PVA you often have to apply an extra coat of finish to get an even sheen.

Big box store paint depts tend to stock coatings based on price rather than quality. You'll always find better coatings at your local paint store although they also sell cheap paint so get mid line or better.