Latex over Oil Based Kilz. Not taking

Old 05-23-01, 12:21 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I put up new drywall on my dining room ceiling. I then put two coats of Kilz Oil Based as my primer (5 hours dry time between coats with fans). Next day I put 1 coat of Duron Latex Flat - a cream color. Next day, 2nd coat. The Cream colored Latex is not taking. It's still white from the Kilz. Yesterday I put a third coat, Benji Moore Latex Flat same color code. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-01, 03:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm not a painting expert, but I was just at the paint store and the info I was given might help you out. You'll probably need to go back to the store and get another type of primer and *acrylic*, not latex, paint. Acrylic is also water washable and more durable than latex. I currently have oil based paint on my walls and assumed I would have to continue using oil based paint, and I thought oil based would be more durable. The knowledgeable sales guy at our local (San Diego) Colorama paint store told me that good acrylic paints are just as durable as oil based, and much easier to wash up after. He gave me a specific primer to use over the old oil paint that I could then apply acrylic paint to. He also gave me a small can of another type of primer to be used on some bare drywall I need to top with the acrylic. It sounds like you need another kind of primer and maybe a different paint for your application. And unfortunately more time to paint more coats! Hope this helps.