Concrete Floor - Basement Laundry/Furnace Room

Old 12-16-18, 08:14 AM
Concrete Floor - Basement Laundry/Furnace Room

My wife and I are getting close to completing the reno on our basement laundry/furnace room. We acid-etched, primed, then painted the previously painted concrete floor with a paint bought at the local Lowes store. This crappy Valspar paint didn't adhere very well and peels up quite easily - we are not happy, considering the time, effort and money we put into it. I'm wanting to strip off the paint and paint it again, but I'm somewhat reluctant because of the even more time and money we will need to invest into the venture.

Primer we used: Valspar Concrete Primer

Paint we used: Valspar Floor Paint

I want our money back!

Any advice?

Last edited by Howitzer; 12-16-18 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-18, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It might not be the paint's fault. Did you check the slab for moisture migrating up thru it? That is the number one cause of basement slab paint failures.

Old 12-16-18, 09:58 AM
The slab is dry as a bone. We did have a couple layers of chipped, worn paint that we tried to etch with muriatic acid. The top layer of worn paint is oil-based (my wife applied it ten years ago).

Could it be that we didn't completely remove the two layers of paint? Very much could be....

Old 12-16-18, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Muratic acid doesn't have much effect on paint. It's main purpose would have been to etch slick finished concrete so any coating applied over it could adhere well. I'm not familiar with that primer and paint, is the primer latex? Latex primer and paints don't always adhere well to oil base enamel.

Old 12-16-18, 10:06 AM
yes, latex. I'm still want to talk to Lowes where I bought the primer/paint...

I might have to strip off the new peeling paint layer... any advice on the process? Yet more money and time...