Exterior Staining of Front Door

Old 05-23-01, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Have existing natural Oak Wood Finished front Door, that has some sun exposure. Has several original coats of Varathane, and needs refinishing. Door has lost its luster, has wood carvings. Need advice on best way to refinish, or recommendations on Exterior Stain Finish products. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-01, 05:30 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Robert DeMoss, I use Minwax Helmsman on exterior wood doors after staining or when they go natural. I think it is a version of marine varnish and does a great job.....Mike

Old 05-25-01, 11:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Restaining Exterior Door

Thanks for the replay, will check out Minwax Helmsman next time at paint store. Should any special preparation be done before applying Minwax. How long has it lasted in your use?

Old 05-26-01, 05:51 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Helmsman is used like any wood sealer or varnish. I have used it on doors and trim that get no sun and it lasts almost forever. If a building gets a lot of sun it may need to be gone over every year or eighteen months. It is waterproof but the sun is tough on clear finishes....Mike

Old 05-26-01, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Restaining Entry Door

Thanks for the Second Ansewer, Have found Helsman Product at Local Home Improvement Store. Will tackle this project as next Home Maintaince Chore, when weather improves.

Old 05-27-01, 02:06 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Hey Robert,
Something else that works for me and I find easier to maintain by homeowner is Tung Oil. Before using it you'd have to scrape/strip the old finish off which at this point probably wouldn't be too hard. Sand it down nicely, apply a stain if you'd like (oil based), then start applying the Tung. Multiple coats will be needed. Nice thing is, once the stuff polymerizes (a few days), you've got something akin to a natural urethane that can be touched up in the future by sanding very lightly, then rubbing more oil on with a cloth.

Sonnie

Old 05-27-01, 09:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Restaining Entry Door

Sonnie
Thanks for the alternate suggestion regarding Tung Oil.
I like the idea of using a cloth to apply, especially for touch up. I have heard of this product, but have never used it.
Thanks. Robert.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: