Wrong stain color

Old 01-02-19, 04:39 PM
Wrong stain color

I stained some old pine boards with minwax early american stain trying to get a rustic look and the boards came out a little reddish and I didnt like it. I'm trying to find out how to fix it. Give it a more brown rustic look.Could I use a light coat of dark walnut over this to fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-19, 04:49 PM
some times you have to do a little mixing and try out on a scrap piece of wood.

Staining over a pre stained board can give you a different color than if the stains were mixed originally!

Old 01-02-19, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
It always amazes me when people wait until they are completely finished staining and THEN decide they don't like the color. I'm also surprised you think Early American is redish. Dark walnut will be VERY dark, fyi. You might try giving it a coat of Minwax gel stain walnut first. The 2nd coat of stain never absorbs as much as the first, so gel stain may be your best bet... they generally leave more pigment on the surface.

Old 01-02-19, 05:47 PM
It looks red to me. I have a picture but I'm not sure how to post it on here

Old 01-03-19, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stains do most of their drying by absorption and the first coat of stain already somewhat sealed the wood. It may be difficult to get a 2nd coat of stain to dry properly. While I've never been fond of gel stains that might be your best bet. What I often do if the color needs to be tweaked after the stain is applied is to apply the first coat of sealer and when that's dry, sand and apply a tinted coated of varnish/poly. I normally tint it myself but you can have it done at the paint store or buy pretinted poly like MInwax's Polyshades. It does require a lot of care in the application as it's not something that can be touched up and drips, lap marks, etc will all be darker and unsightly.