Ceiling with water stains & wallpaper partially peeled what to do and how to fix

Old 01-10-19, 05:30 PM
Ceiling with water stains & wallpaper partially peeled what to do and how to fix

Hi all, thank you in advance. I have a ceiling with water stains from a leak that was fixed. I am now left with a very water-stained ceiling and partially peeled ceiling paper. My home is from the 1920s. I have ceiling paper on all the ceilings. I want to paint this issue but don't know if I should remove the paper first, or if there is a better fix without having to remove the paper. I want what will yield the best results. Also, to drain the ceiling, I had to drill holes into the plaster/lathe ceiling. So those need to be addressed. These are tall ceilings, so I realize I am going to have neck cramps, but I can do it.
1. Holes 2. stains 3. paper 4. paint. These are things I need advise with. Please see the photos.

Name:  z1.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  z2.jpg
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  z3.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-16-19 at 03:37 PM. Reason: enlarged/enhanced pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Do you have access to the other side of the ceiling? Before repairing cosmetically it would be nice to rule out mold.

I'd scrape off what I could of the paper. Do you wish/need to replace it? A solvent based primer is needed to seal the water stains. You'd then repair, prime and paint.

Old 01-15-19, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome!!!

I'm so glad to have found this source of advice.
The other side of the ceiling is a room...I made sure to air out the leak immediately and had a fan on it for 2 weeks.
I work in the room and have not smelled any mold. I'm pretty sure it is dry.

As far as what I would like to do to the ceiling, I would like to paint it and have it look like a smooth ceiling.
Should I scrape even the dry paper? Is the goal to get all the paper off as much as possible or just so there is a smooth transition from paper to plaster?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-19, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it wall paper or the paper they use to cover minute cracks in plaster?
With wallpaper it's best to remove it if you can. The other type of paper is meant to be painted over. If the latter, remove any that is loose and either replace that portion or skim coat as needed to make a smooth transition.

Old 01-16-19, 11:15 AM
Hey marksr,

I call it wallpaper but honestly don't know. This house was built in 1920 and is an all lathe and plaster home. It seems that the paper they used is actual paper and it was placed onto the wet plaster as a way of "holding" or giving a smooth finish to the plaster?
I'm guessing...

Old 01-16-19, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not real familiar with it but they make a paper that's main job is to hide minor cracks and possibly help hold together old plaster. I've never hung it but I've painted quite a few older plaster homes where they hung it on the wall prior to us getting there. It paints nicely. Unlike most wallpaper there is no 'finish' [ or color] to it, it's made to be painted over.