What species of wood, gray stain?

Old 02-14-19, 08:04 PM
What species of wood, gray stain?

I need to determine which species of wood will take gray stain the best. My choices are oak, white oak, and maple. Also, are there any advantages of using oak over maple? Isn't oak easier to cut, sand, etc? I need to cut a pentagon shape so there will be several angle cuts. This will be a custom butcher block top for an aquarium.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-19, 11:08 PM
Upvotes Received: 67
All three are hardwoods and tougher to cut than pine but as long as tools are sharp should be easy.

As far as color, that is going to be a personal preference, I wouldn't think a gray stain with red oak would look good but you just need to get some samples and try them out!

Old 02-15-19, 12:25 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
I've never thought of maple as a wood which took color easily, I would use go with one of the oak choices.

Old 02-15-19, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 71
Of the 3 white oak would stain grey the best. Red oak might be too red and as mentioned above maple doesn't take dark stains well. All 3 should cut well with a good blade.

Old 02-15-19, 04:47 AM
Okay. Think I'll go with the white oak then. I like the look of the Minwax Natural Gray. Not too gray and allows some if the warmth to show through. BTW, the aquarium will weigh at least 700 lbs. Should the butcher block alone be able to support this, or should I add some support underneath? The maximum span will be 50" and the block is 1-1/2" thick.

Old 02-15-19, 11:50 AM
I kind of like the gray stain with the warm wood tones showing through. Here's an example of red oak floors with gray stain:

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-19, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 71
With grey that pale you could use any of the woods you mentioned,