Exterior painting project - need advice

Old 02-24-19, 09:43 PM
Post Exterior painting project - need advice

I have a home built in 1927 that has asbestos siding. I know the dangers of this product, the pros of having it safely removed and how best to handle it while keeping it in place. I'm not going to have it removed nor do I want to have another product installed over it because it is in great shape. It has never been painted and I would like advice on what paint would be best used to do this and if it would need primed or not.

Also, at some point the exterior wood window trim was covered with metal cladding (I think that's what it's called?) Basically thin sheet metal cut and bent to fit around the wood trim, then nailed in place. When you touch it the white finish comes off on your hands and I would like to repaint this as well. What is your advice on how to best do this?

Any insight you can share would be most helpful and very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-19, 02:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Latex house paint is best for the asbestos, most any exterior latex primer would be fine. Asbestos paints well.
Sounds like you have the windows clad in aluminum. Paint won't adhere long term to the chalky surface so you need to wash off the chalk. When it isn't feasible to remove all the chalk you can add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat of latex to promote good adhesion. Aluminum also paints well with latex paint.

Old 03-23-19, 08:59 AM
Good prep 30 yrs exp

I recommend pressure washing first however be sure to used a 45 tip and stay at least two feet away. If any asbestos is being disturbed discontinue that. It is important to have a clean surface for adhesion. Also the best primer for the aluminum is SW procrill. Be sure to use a water based liquid register prep first.

Old 03-23-19, 10:58 AM
And go to a paint store and get some good paint not the krap at big box stores so we don't have to have a follow up post on why it didn't hold up, doesn't look good etc!