Need expert advice regarding wall prep before painting

Old 02-27-19, 08:07 AM
Need expert advice regarding wall prep before painting

As the title states, I need some expert advice regarding wall prep before painting our kitchen.

Here is a summary of the facts:

1. Removed wallpaper from kitchen walls by wetting the wallpaper with a sponge and hot water and a sharp edged stiff putty knife

2. The outer layer of wallpaper came off leaving much of the backing on the wall

3. Re-wet the remaining backing with hot water and using the putty knife removed it down to the bare previously painted wall

4. Other than a few gouges I need to repair from the wallpaper removal, the walls are very smooth with no obvious adhesive remaining

5. Although there is no visible evidence of remaining adhesive if I run a wet sponge over the wall, it is sticky to the touch until the wall dries again

Obviously going over the walls at this point with just hot water won’t remove this stickiness.

Are these possible options?

- Go over walls again with hot water mixed with white vinegar or ammonia or
something else to remove whatever remains causing the stickiness, or

- Use Gardz, fix the gouges, spot prime the repairs with oil based primer then paint

So my question is what am I dealing with and what additional steps do I need to go through to insure I will not have a problem when I paint the walls?

I would appreciate some expert advice before I proceed.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-19, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
wonder were my reply went let me try again

I'd let the wall dry and then sand it, apply Gardz and make any repairs that are needed [prime them too] The wall should then be ready for paint.

Old 02-27-19, 01:27 PM
Thanks Mark for the quick response. I will follow your suggested approach.

Old 02-28-19, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gardz will take care of any stickiness that may be from adhesive residue. Once the gardz has dried, light sand and patch with a setting type joint compound. Give it several coats sanding in between. Prime and paint.

Old 03-23-19, 09:08 AM
30 yrs exp

Once again oil based stain blocking primer is best even before repairs. Damaged areas should be well sanded to remove loose paper before primer. Then prime the repair areas with the same before painting. This will eliminate blisters as good as gaurds, but also any unwanted stains that may bleed through the paint.