used wrong colour paint

Old 03-16-19, 04:12 PM
used wrong colour paint

I recently painted over an area on my kitchen ceiling, but used the wrong colour of paint. I used a light grey, however, the correct colour is white. What is the best way to fix this? Do I just match the correct paint and roll over this area? The grey paint I used was an interior eggshell enamel "paint and primer in one". Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-19, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
You need to repaint the entire ceiling with your desired color if you want it to match. Ceilings are usually "flat ceiling white."

Old 03-16-19, 04:52 PM
I'm not too worried about it matching as it's only the ceiling. Could I just paint it white over that section or will the darker colour show through?

Old 03-16-19, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
If you have the exact paint that was used, you might be able to do it, but the sheen may still show up as different. If you don't have the exact paint that was originally used, then like I said, you will need to repaint the entire ceiling.

Old 03-16-19, 04:58 PM
make sure you get 'ceiling' paint, and you will notice it but won't be terrible. like xsleeper said, to do it right, u need to do the whole ceiling.

Old 03-16-19, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
paint I used was an interior eggshell enamel "paint and primer in one"
And quit using that gimmick crap paint.

You sound determined so go ahead and get the white paint and try to touch up the spot. If it works, great. If we're right, just make sure you bought enough to do the whole ceiling.

Old 03-17-19, 02:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless the paint job is recent and the exact same paint is used it's difficult to get a touch up in the middle of a ceiling to blend. IF you get the same color paint and touch up over the wrong color it will look better than it currently does but the touch up will likely show. A light scuff sand is the only prep needed.