What interior paint should I get at home Depot?

Old 03-17-19, 11:25 AM

Painting my basement this week and have no idea what brand paint I should get or type like semi flat for walls and seni gloss for trim, gloss for cieling?? l Hope one of the pros here could point me in the right direction. Trying not to go crazy with the money or lack their of 🤨... All new walls and trim. Any help, tips recommendations are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-19, 02:33 PM
I'm just an average homeowner, but I've done a lot of painting over the past 20 years. I like flat on ceilings, eggshell on walls, and semigloss on trim. If you have a lot of imperfections on your walls you can use flat, but it won't hold up to scrubbing quite as well. I use satin on bathroom walls.

First house I started with a cheap paint and after one wall went back to the store and got Behr. Made a huge difference and it's all I've ever used since.

Old 03-17-19, 03:08 PM
Absolutely nothing, there is no paint that any of the big box stores that is worth even putting in your garage, it's krap.

At a min get paint from Sherwin WIlliams, you want good paint get Pratt Lambert.

The krap they sell, including Behr, (just search this site and read all the horror stories) is sold on cheap price, not quality!!

Cheap can be expensive!!

Old 03-17-19, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Better products and services are available in paint stores than in paint departments.

While it's definitely shinier than the average person likes, I put satin finish on my walls.

Old 03-18-19, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd also recommend going to your local paint store, their mid line or better is better than what a big box offers [where coatings are stocked based on low price] Painting advice will be better there also.

If this is new unpainted drywall you'll want to use a dedicated primer first. The primer in the paint is more sales gimmick than anything else.

Old 03-18-19, 04:05 AM
Just for the record Sherwim-Williams makes and markets the following brands of paint. That is not to say that each brand is good or bad than the other. The advice to use a dedicated paint store is good. What bothers me is that S-W and others will market the same brand (Velspar for instance) to consumer outlets with different sub-brands that are specific to one store be it Lowes, Menards, HD, ACE and others. So you can't directly buy a Velspar paint of one type from various stores. The thing is all the paint comes from the same several factory nozzles and they slap on different labels.

Dutch Boy
Duron
MAB Paints
Minwax
Valspar
Krylon
Purdy
Bestt Liebco
Thompson's
H&C
Pratt & Lambert
Martin-Senour
Columbia Paint & Coatings
Frazee Paint
Dupli-Color

Old 03-18-19, 04:11 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should try SW next time!

Old 03-18-19, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
SWP has some great paints, unfortunately they also sell some coatings that IMO aren't fit to be used.

Old 03-18-19, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Even at a paint store, I won't buy a lower end paint.

Old 03-18-19, 08:29 AM
I can highly recommened

Pratt & Lambert - Accolade
Sherwin WIlliams - Duration

I know there is sticker shock, especially for the PL paints but have been using for 30 plus years.

Incredible coverage
No splatter
Never shows a roller mark
Actually can be cleaned without removing paint from wall
12 years old, with kids and dogs, it still looks great

When you look at the big picture, it's a deal!

if you get beyond the initial price and realize that

Old 03-18-19, 11:34 AM
SW Coupons

SW currently has a 30% off coupon. The current coupon expires 3/30/19, but they put them out quite often. You can probably just mention it to the store clerk and they will give it to you.

Old 03-18-19, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys, I took the Sherwin-Williams route. unfortunately I didn't get to read the last few posts before I went so hopefully the stuff I got is good. Says spr Int vel extra . I did get the 30% discount 😁. I guess the brand is SuperPaint.

Old 03-19-19, 02:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
SuperPaint is one step below Duration. I've used a lot of SuperPaint and have been well satisfied with it.

Old 03-23-19, 08:34 AM
Painter/Finisher

I have worked the commercial industry for over 30 yrs. Woodwork is best finished with sw emerald urethane. Walls with superpaint paint plus primer. In reference to the list of paint products that sw manufacturers it is not complete. Behr paint for example. "This Old House" did a tour on one episode and Norm introduced it standing with the all familiar logo from sw behind him. SW manufactures paint for about 85% of the United States companies. However the formulas are not their own. Majority of contractors use their products. So I recommend their products. However you don't have to use top end products to achieve good results. Prep is the most important part of the job. Good primer like extreme bond for woodwork is best. Walls don't need primer with superpaint. I recommend two coats always. Even if the product claims a one coat finish. The exception may be on previously painted surfaces that are close to the same color. If you paint a dark color such as red,blue,purple. Always tint the primer gray. This may also apply to orange. The reason for a tinted primer is for better more uniform coverage. Red would take multiple coats to cover white for example.

Old 03-23-19, 11:05 AM
However you don't have to use top end products to achieve good results. Prep is the most important part of the job
I absolutely agree that prep is the key, so is having good tools!

After all that hard work why cut the corner for material, your doing it yourself and saving money, get the good stuff!

I have yet to see a post where the OP complained that the paint job looks too good!!

Majority of contractors use their products.
Well, dah, cheap materials are more advantage to the contractor, not the homeowner!

Old 03-23-19, 11:47 AM
Not to argue with experience, but the cheapest material will always be the weakest link and that is the point of failure.

Old 03-23-19, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Absolutely nothing, there is no paint that any of the big box stores that is worth even putting in your garage, it's krap
While I agree that paint you find at a paint store is very good, I have had nothing but great results with Behr paint. I use their Premium Plus Ultra which is still $35 a gallon.

Old 03-24-19, 02:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most paint contractors trade at a dedicated paint store because they are better stocked and more knowledgeable if a question comes up. If you do any volume you'll also get better pricing. The extra cost for better paint is minuscule compared to labor. I've used some pricier paints that were actually cheaper once you figured in how much better they covered and applied.

Decent paint jobs can be done with cheaper coatings but a better coating almost always applies and wears better.