Proper way to paint after removing wallpaper and glue

Old 03-21-19, 05:19 AM
Proper way to paint after removing wallpaper and glue

We've removed a lot of wallpaper and the underlying glue from our 1970 house and have the walls pretty much down to the original texted plaster. Now we want to paint. Everything we read was to use an oil based primer to seal in any bits of glue we missed and then it would be OK to use latex top coats.

My wife went to Lowes yesterday and they told her we can't use latex on top of oil primer so they sold her Valspar Bonding Primer/Sealer to use instead of oil primer. Researching this product, I've heard it described as a very thick substance which has me worried since our plaster walls have a swirled texture to them and I don't want this bonding primer to fill in those swirls if it is indeed "thick." Plus it is latex based which I thought was a big no-no since we don't want to reactivate any bits of glue we might have missed getting off the walls.

My questions:
  1. Can we use an oil based primer and latex top coats?
  2. If we can't use the oil primer, is this Valspar bonding primer OK to use even though it's latex based?
  3. Is the Valspar primer a thick substance as I've read?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-19, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
1. Lowe's is wrong, yes you can.
2 & 3, don't know, never used it.

The normal product to use is called Gardz.

Old 03-21-19, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no reason you can't use latex paint over an oil base primer. It's successfully done all the time. Solvent based primers are often used to seal water and odor stains. For drywall adhesive that's what we always used to use [and still do sometimes] although Zinnser's Gardz does a good job of sealing wallpaper adhesive.

I know very little about Valspar's modern day coating line up.

Old 03-21-19, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I found the Gardz at https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...urface-sealer/. But I see it too is water based. I thought that was a big no-no for sealing old wallpaper glue?

Old 03-21-19, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Gardz is a special primer, don't worry about it being water based; it seals exposed gypsum and wallpaper paste better than pretty much anything else you'd find.

Old 03-21-19, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gardz is pretty much the only water based primer suitable for going over wallpaper adhesive or torn paper. It's a clear primer which is sometimes a benefit but not always.

Old 03-21-19, 07:15 AM
OK thanks everyone. Just called a local paint store and plan to stop in there this week.

Old 03-23-19, 08:46 AM
Thirty yrs experience in commercial

• I recommend problock alklad or killz alklad. They are both oil based and will also block out any stains. You can apply any paint product over them since they are designed to work over or under them all. Also they will seal any damaged paper surface better than guards.