stripper recommendation

Old 03-29-19, 10:17 AM
stripper recommendation

I have a 6 panel pine door that was coated with Minwax Maple Polyshades. Doesn't match other woodwork / trim / doors which were all properly conditioned, stained, and coated with satin poly. I want to remove the Polyshades and do it like the rest was done. My question is about removing the Polyshades. I could sand the flat surfaces OK, but the detail trim around the 6 panels would be a problem. How about chemical stripper? I could work outside so odors aren't a problem. Any recommendations on a good stripper? Or other ideas? Product / how to use / how much needed for 1 door (both sides)/ cautions are all appreciated! Thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-19, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need a chemical stripper, it's difficult to remove all the poly/stain by just sanding. I don't use strippers very often so when that type of job comes up I usually ask the paint rep at the store which stripper would be best for the job at hand. I prefer the more caustic strippers as they work faster, never been fond of the citrus based strippers [too slow]

Old 03-30-19, 03:03 AM
stripper

Thanks for the info. It confirmed my guess. Steve