Fixing ugly painted concrete

Old 04-04-19, 06:36 AM
Fixing ugly painted concrete

Last year we bought a house with a huge carport. The previous owners painted the concrete floor bright red. It is now mostly peeling off and looks horrible. Itís older concrete and has some staining under the paint. Iím OK with ugly concrete but the ri last year we bought a house with a huge carport. The previous owners painted the concrete floor bright red. It is now mostly peeling off and looks horrible. Itís older concrete and has some staining under the paint. Iím OK with ugly hungry but the bright red needs to go!

Iíve investigated several options including grinding the paint off and creating a surface the paint would stick to or epoxy would stick to. Once itís ground down you could also just stain it or something like that. In the end Iíve never had luck with painting or using epoxy on concrete. It always feels at least a little bit. The best options are way more expesive than I want to invest in this project.

Hereís what Iím thinking as a cheap slight improvement. Scrape off the vast majority of the red paint certainly anything thatís loose. Pressure wash and scrub to get as clean as possible. Buy concrete paint that is muted and nearly the color of the concrete and cover the whole thing. While Iím sure this will eventually have some pealing. My hope is that it will cling well to the old paint and keep it covered and any pealing would be hard to see because the paint color.

Thoughts and recommendations for best type of paint to use? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-19, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not fond of painted concrete slabs, both the traffic wear and any moisture that often migrates up thru the slab makes for a short coating life.

I'd brush on some paint stripper and let it set [not dry] and then pressure wash. Once the paint is removed I'd either leave it as is or apply a solid color concrete stain. Concrete stains will wear away but generally don't peel and require just a little prep to restain.

Old 04-04-19, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Your plan seems good. It's still paint on concrete so it won't last forever but it could look good for several years depending on use.

Old 04-04-19, 12:50 PM
I tried stripper and it didnít take it off. I didnít combine w pressure washing. I still doubt it would take it all off. But will try.

Old 04-04-19, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of stripper did you use? Deck stripper has little effect on paint, citrus strippers aren't that stout. The more caustic strippers should work good. You want to apply the stripper, wait for it to work [bubble up the paint] and then pressure wash.

Old 04-04-19, 05:03 PM
Pressure wash and scrub to get as clean as possible
If the paint was latex vs a stain several passes of pressure washer will remove.

The result will be a porus cement pad, as much as I hate paints I would look into stains or sealers rather than new paint!