Cleaning oil paint primer from brush

Old 05-22-19, 11:27 AM
Cleaning oil paint primer from brush

I cleaned my brush in 4 fresh batches of paint thinner and was wondering if you're supposed to rinse the brush in warm soapy water and then spin it before putting it back in its package.

I labeled the brush OIL to only use it for oil base. I really never use any oil base, but I am applying Cover Stain to the cabinets I'm painting and using the brush to get around edges and stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-19, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, latex is definitely easier to clean because you don't feel bad using a gallon or three of water to clean. No, you should not put an oil brush in water; it wouldn't do any good anyway. When oil priming, I often use a cheap brush and pitch it when I'm done rather than attempt to clean it.

Old 05-22-19, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on the type of brush. I always use a natural bristle brush when using oil base paint/primer. Water will destroy a natural bristle brush! If you are using a nylon, polyester or nylon/poly blend brush the soap and water won't hurt it and could be beneficial if you switch the brush over to latex paint.

You should always remove most of the thinner [or water] prior to storing the brush in it's shuck.

Old 05-23-19, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys! I'm using a Wooster brush that says FOR ALL PAINTS AND STAINS, so I guess that's a polyester/nylon?

While on the subject of cleaning a brush, I'm also wondering the best way to clean you hands if you get oil paint on them. I've been getting them clean just using soap and water, but I have to use a scrub sponge sometimes.

Is there a standard way to get oil pain off your hands?

Old 05-23-19, 11:23 PM
Group Moderator
As I mentioned, I really only use oil based primer any more, all the paint I use these days is latex but I often wear nitrile gloves when working with anything nasty or just difficult to clean off skin.

Old 05-24-19, 02:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always used whatever thinner the coating requires for clean up and then washed with soap and water. Often dried paint is best picked or scraped off of your skin. I try not to get paint on my fingers [drives me nuts] and will take a rag to wipe it off while still wet.

Old 05-24-19, 01:21 PM
thanks all for your help. Cabinets are coming out great with SW Dover White!