Using "extra" paint to build height

Old 06-11-19, 07:04 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Using "extra" paint to build height

Any tips for blending height differences using paint alone?

I have a situation with a floor where I had to remove an area of paint on a concrete floor. It created a slight height difference/step between what's painted and what's not. I now need to repaint the area where I removed the paint. Is there a technique/tip or any way to phony or blend this height difference solely using paint. Such as using "extra" paint to build it up. Any way to blend the area where old and new paint meet? Sanding without removing the new paint? etc...

Old 06-11-19, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
If you feather sanded the perimeter and applied multiple coats of paint it should blend height wise although it's difficult to get floor enamel to blend unless it's in a corner.

Old 06-11-19, 03:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Feather the edge before you paint. Generally speaking, paint doesn't build enough to get any significant height from it.

Old 06-17-19, 10:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
I don't know how big of a height difference you are talking about here, but if it's enough to be significantly noticeable after a couple coats of new paint you will probably need to us a skim coat of self-leveling concrete mix. If you run it right up to the edge of the old paint it should level right up to the edge. If it isn't significant enough for that you will probably just have to do what the others have suggested and live with the fact that it will look a little different. But not matter what you do it will probably always stand out unless you repaint the whole floor. More times than not unless you can get an exact match to how the paint you didn't remove looks now you will either see a color difference or sheen difference when you paint the area. If you are going to use left overs from the original painting it may not even be an exact match. A few different things can change the color and look of a painted surface over time: The color can fade due to light/UV rays. The sheen can dull due to traffic, cleaners, and general wear and tear.

Old 06-17-19, 12:46 PM
B
Thanks for the information. The floor is pretty imperfect to begin with & I plan on covering it with rubber gym tile so I'm just being overly picky.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: