Clear coat over shellac and airbrushed lacquer

Old 07-02-19, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clear coat over shellac and airbrushed lacquer

Hi folks, I need some advice.

I painted the whole circular piece of wood with Mixwax Indigo wipe-on water based stain. After a few days, I brushed 2 coats of clear shellac over it.

Once the wood was solid blue, I airbrushed MRP acrylic lacquer (pre-thinned) hobby paint Insignia White (the star) on top of the shellac.

Now I want to seal the whole thing with a clear top coat.
It will need to stick to the shellac top coat (which is over the blue), and the bare white acrylic lacquer hobby paint. I did a test spot of insignia white on the back. After a few days, when I tested shellac over the acrylic lacquer - it lightened the white spot up - I think some got wiped away with the brush I was using. Please help. I don't want to ruin my airbrushed star.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-19, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Any solvent based clear coating you apply over that star will discolor the white. Not sure how well a waterbased poly will adhere to the shellac without sanding.

Old 07-02-19, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
First, why do you want a different clear coat than the shellac & lacquer? That is one of the original clear coats.

Shellac and lacquer don't cure or harden like an epoxy or many modern coatings. They dry. So, additional coats of the same will soften the previous layers and they can merge together as one. That might be why you saw the white lightening.

I would do a test first on some scrap to make sure but if you want another type of clear coat I would use polyurethane. The thing I don't know is if water or solvent based would be best. My gut says water based so you don't have any lightening issues with the shellac and lacquer underneath.

Old 07-02-19, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I know oil base poly will adhere over shellac but it will turn the white amber. I rarely use waterbased poly and am uncertain as to how well it would adhere.

Old 07-03-19, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
You might try to seal it with Zinsser Seal Coat (a dewaxed shellac) which is suitable for just about anything... and you can top coat that with your choice of finishes. (I'd just use lacquer) Spraying would be the best way to apply it. Both those products dry really fast. Lightly sand between coats with a 3m sandblaster fine sanding pad.

A small gravity feed cup gun, hose and any air compressor is all you need. (Set regulator to about 30 lbs and make a final adjustment on the gun) I'm partial to this one from Lowes. They also have a smaller one.

Old 07-30-19, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
star base finished

Thank you all for the input. I had to repaint the star once and didn't want to go through that again. I was leaning towards poly, but came here for some suggestions/confidence. I got it done today and everything seems to be playing nice together.

Paints used in order - blue Minwax water based wipe on stain --> clear shellac ----> MRP Insignia White lacquer (airbrushed) -----> Minwax Polycrylic (water based) clear

(the white is a lot whiter irl, the picture is a little yellow shifted)

Old 07-30-19, 12:47 PM
Received 141 Votes on 131 Posts
next time might want to just look into automotive enamels and clears, they are all completely compatible with each other and probably will stand up better to UV .