Peeling Paint

Old 05-30-01, 01:50 PM
Visiting Guest
I am going to paint the bathroom. The previous owner removed wallpaper but didn't remove the wallpaper paste. They then painted over this. Now the paint is peeling and chipping off. Is there an easy way to remove this paint? Any suggestions on smoothing the surface?

Old 06-02-01, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
It seems this problem comes up a lot, and no-one has an answer. What I would do is rent or purchase a grinder with a sanding attachment. I have used this method for other areas, and depending upon the grit of sandpaper you use, you can take the old finish off very quickly. That is, if the area you need to repair is not enormous! Make sure you use safety glasses and gloves, and a mask! This is a no-nonsense way of getting unwanted goop off the walls. Variable speed is a plus!

Old 06-02-01, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
By the way, use thinned joint compound and a large trowel to smooth the walls! Good luck!

Old 06-03-01, 02:03 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
I believe the answer is to buy a wallpaper stripping compound, follow directions for mixing, spray it on the walls, I use a green scotchbrite pad for the tough areas to remove the adhesive. Allow for drying, prime with any of several Zinsser products designed for the use. They even make one for priming damaged drywall, which you'll no doubt need if you elect to use a 10,000 rpm angle grinder on your walls.

Fact is, all the adhesives typically used in paper hanging are water soluble. Add enough surfactants to some warm water and just a little elbow grease and you'll have it off. What doesn't come off can be sealed and further adhered to the substrate via the proper primer selection.

If you're familiar with the use of an angle grinder, challenge yourself, otherwise select a less destructive implement.

My best
Sonnie

Old 06-03-01, 03:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink It's your choice!

That doesn't address the question of the peeling paint on top of the adhesive. If you want to use paint remover, plus all the other chemicals sunny recommends, you'll have a toxic dump on your hands. Like I said, I've tried it with excellent results. You don't have to be an expert to use a sander. And you DON'T have to use a one at 10,000 RPM's. I said use a sanding attachment and variable speed is a plus. What a wiseacre!

Old 06-06-01, 08:51 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
So sorry, Craig, if I came across as a smartypants. It's my understanding that wallpaper strippers (not paint strippers) are largely just specific surfactants that attack adhesives. As for the remark on the angle grinders, I've only mentioned the 10,000 rpm because all that I've owned operate at that speed. Of course it's possible to adjust the invasion rate by adjusting the grit of the paper, the pressure exerted, the time and so on.

My apologies if I got off on the wrong foot. I've often been accused of having two left feet. (I was a right footed kicker in high-school).

peace,

Sonnie

Old 06-09-01, 12:22 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
removing paint and adhesive

If you are dealing with plaster walls the PEEL AWAY I product will remove the paint, adhesive, etc and bring you down to bare plaster in one application. Do not use if the surface is sheet rock since it will also take the paper off the sheet rock

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: