Repair/repaint spot on door damaged by rubbing alcohol?

Old 07-13-19, 10:31 PM
Repair/repaint spot on door damaged by rubbing alcohol?

Hi Everyone,

How can I repaint a spot on a metal sidelight that had some paint removed by rubbing alcohol?

I was painting the trim near it with primer before painting and stupidly tried to clean a spot of primer under the trim on the panel, but it ended up actually removing some paint from the area below.

Is it possible to have this painted to look like new? Maybe someone who does autobody painting?

I dont want to paint the whole surface just the small area.

we already had an issue with the door with paint peeling on it’s own and they replaced it so I wonder if something is wrong with the side panel paint job as well. I don't want to replace the panel though as that would be too much hassle.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-19, 03:31 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
Yes, it is possible to paint it to look new but you will have to paint the entire surface to make it all match and look new and not like a touch-up.

Old 07-14-19, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
As PD said it can be repainted, occasionally door enamel can be touched up but often the best way to make it look right is to repaint it completely. A pic showing where the damage is would help us determine what you should do - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 07-14-19, 04:37 AM
Upvotes Received: 68
had some paint removed by rubbing alcohol
Alcohol is pretty mild, I'm surprised it removed anything!

Possibly the alcohol just dissolved the primer a little and that is what you are seeing, a haze on the surface?

Might try a second attempt on the same area with a clean rag to see it it can be removed so nothing would need to be repainted!

Old 07-15-19, 02:22 AM
I am pretty sure paint was removed because there was red paint on the alcohol swatch. I am diabetic and used one of my alcohol wipes. I donít know if this is normal but as I said the door paint did not properly adhere, I wish I had made them replace all three at the same time as something is obviously wrong.
I cleaned again with a wet tissue but it is not changing, the surface is damaged.

At the time they told me there was a problem with their paint application but they did not offer to replace all of them. I also noticed there is pitting now on both side lights on the outside and maybe one spot where it came off plus the vinyl trim paint by each window on the side lights is completely peeling off.

I will try to post some pics

Old 07-15-19, 02:26 AM
Do I have to post pictures and another forum? I will try to follow that link.

Maybe I can hire someone to do it? There is no way I’m ever going to be able to paint this and have it look as smooth as when the door manufacturer did it. It was dipped in the paint they said. But I’m just wondering since something is obviously wrong with their paint job and they were already replaced the front door a few months ago maybe I should just get them to replace the side panels too.

but it is going to be a big hassle because they will have to take them out of the frame And to put them in again I don’t know how this is going to be done easily. the front door was easy because all they had to do was remove the old one and put it on the hinges etc.

Old 07-15-19, 02:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure I understand why the side light would need to be removed to be painted, I've painted 100s of them after they've been installed. You can either post pics per the instructions or provide a link to another site where you've put the pics.

Old 07-15-19, 02:31 AM
Thanks�� I don’t think I can do this myself. I am having a difficult enough time painting the frame around the side panels and door which I should’ve had the company do in the first place.

But since there is something wrong with the paint surface adherence I’m wondering if I should just try to get them to replace it totally or to pay to have somebody repaint the surface.

I don’t know if it’s only the outer surface that’s going to need done because the inner surface seems to be OK so far. But really I do not want to wait around to find out that the inside is also going to start peeling off this is such a nightmare. We paid a lot to have this beautiful new door custom ordered and painted and now I have dealt with nothing but problems with the paint.

I will follow that link and try to post some pictures.

Old 07-15-19, 02:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How long ago was the installation and paint job? any sort of warranty?

Old 07-15-19, 02:36 AM
It would need to be replaced because the company when they painted it did not do a proper job. the paint was already peeling off right away because they didn’t paint it properly, the paint did Adhere properly to the surface. They told me there was a problem with the painting technique they used on the door they replaced it So it is their responsibility.

Secondly getting someone to paint it is going to be a huge hassle too maybe, it is not only the front of the side light but the back side interior as well. I am not gonna wait around to find out that I have to pay a lot of money to somebody to do this when paint starts peeling off there too. the company should take care of this.

Secondly it is not a normal paint job done with a brush, the door and sidelights were dipped in the paint so it has a very smooth, professional looking surface.

Old 07-15-19, 02:39 AM
I have to call them and find out. The door was first ordered last July I believe June or July. But I did not receive it for about two months until late August or September I believe. Then it was not installed until late October because the contractor was sick. So it has not been up for a very long time. The front door already had a spot of paint peeling off right away when it was installed. The company came to inspect it and decided they would replace it and then they replaced it I think in January but they did not replace the sidelights which really they should’ve done. I’m guessing because it was too costly at that time maybe. And a big hassle. Plus there was no visible damage at the time but obviously the sidelights were painted at the same time and have the same flaw.

there is s warranty but I am worried they may try to say it is over, I can’t remember how long it is at least a year so it still should be good especially considering the door took two months on a special order to be made and then it was not installed until October and they already replaced part of it to go to their flaws.

Last edited by Meowie; 07-15-19 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 02:51 AM
Here are pics. I hope they are the right ones, hard to see when uploading.

Attached Images     
Old 07-15-19, 02:55 AM
Here is a close up of the spot where pqint was removed in the right corner. These pics look very blurry here so I don’t know if you can see the damage, pitting etc well here. I am going to take some more pics because these don’t look good here maybe in the daylight I can get a better image. Although when I send them to a friend they were perfectly focused I think it is just uploading here maybe, but I will try again.

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-19, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
pic #2 looks like there was either dust under the paint or got on it prior to drying

The chipping on the plastic molding isn't unexpected as paint doesn't always bond as well to plastic but it should be easy to fix.

If it was me I'd sand it down as needed, mask off the jamb and respray in place. If you are just worried about the mullion peeling - that can be sanded down and repainted with a brush. Done correctly brush marks shouldn't show.

Old 07-15-19, 05:13 AM
Upvotes Received: 68
If that trim is plastic and they did not use PVC primer then that would explain why the paint is not sticking!

Old 07-15-19, 05:44 AM
Here are more hopefully better pics

Attached Images      
Old 07-15-19, 05:50 AM
I am not trying doing any of this myself or paying for it, this is a new door. It is not an easy job imo and brush strokes will show, it needs to be sprayed or dipped. I have just contacted Lowes and they are contacting the door company. I am wondering if I can replace the sidelights with fiberglass if they replace them is that better in terms of paint issues?

Before this we had a solid wooden door which was the original door in the house and I never had any problems with it I mean I would paint it every 10 years or so or something like that no problems whatsoever. The original sidelights were built very differently and overtime the paint was chipping off and had lead in it which was another reason I replaced them. But they were over 50 years old!

Old 07-15-19, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It doesn't really look like the sidelite was cleaned properly. I've never used a special primer on the vinyl/plastic mullions but I do normally wipe it down with liquid deglosser first. Excluding outright abuse I've never had any issues with the paint not adhering.

Do you know what type of paint was used? As mentioned earlier, rubbing alcohol shouldn't affect the paint. Denatured alcohol can dissolve dried latex paint.

I have minimal experience painting/staining fiberglass doors. I don't know that they would preform any better/worse than the steel sidelites you currently have.

Old 07-15-19, 05:54 AM
Maybe, I don’t know much about painting on this plastic type of trim but I don’t like it very much. I don’t understand why they didn’t use metal trim. Someone also looked at the door yesterday who is actually the insect person said that it was because they didn’t use gel paint on it. Clearly whatever they did they messed up the entire paint job on everything! And now I am spending months dealing with it which is exhausting and aggravating to say the least. I still do not understand why using the alcohol swab actually remove the paint I didn’t think that was even possible fir properly adhered paint on metal. I thought that this was an enamel powder coated door but he told me when all of these problems started happening that it was dipped in the paint.

Old 07-15-19, 05:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never heard of doors or sidelites being dipped in paint. I've painted 100s [if not a 1000] metal doors with plastic trim. It's the industry standard and I've never had issues painting them.

Old 07-15-19, 05:58 AM
So you think it was not cleaned before they painted it is that it? I don’t know for sure what type of paint but I think he told me it was latex paint which I was kind of shocked by because I thought this was what they usually use to paint metal which I thought was powder coated enamel. Which will not come off certainly not with an alcohol wipe.

I have used alcohol wipes to remove the latex paint off of wood and off of other metal surfaces but not on a metal surface that that was painted,,just to remove drips etc. . I just thought if something was properly painted it was powder coated for a metal surface and that will never come off unless you chip it off or something like that.

I had never heard of that either but that is what they told me they did. I don’t remember if it was someone at Lowes who I ordered it from or someone from the door company. But someone definitely told me that which I had never heard of. I think it was someone from the door company.

Old 07-15-19, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many steel door manufactures spec latex paint and have for decades. Powder coat paint is baked on and that would ruin the mullion and glass. Never heard of residential doors with a powder coat finish.

Old 07-15-19, 06:33 PM
Interesting. I thought I saw some steel doors online that were powder coated baked on, I knew that, that were just out of my price range. Couldn’t they just add the glass after? Not sure what muillon is.

Lowes said they are contacting the company and the inspector texted back so I have already sent him pics.

* looked it up and I don’t think they have muillon, they are clear windows with a plastic frame maybe and have interior screens. Wouldn't they have to be added after any painting though? Certainly if it was dipped. But I still assumed it was all powder coated now because it will last forever prolly.

ok here they are. https://www.grokedoor.com/news/powde...or-entry-doors

Old 07-16-19, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
interesting link

I don't think I've ever painted a house that had aluminum doors [not counting storm doors] Most have been steel doors, some wood with a few fiberglass doors thrown in the mix.

I was referring to the molding that holds the glass in place as the mullion. While the door could be powder coated, that plastic/vinyl molding could not. It along with the glass could be installed later.

Meowie voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-16-19, 11:13 PM
I wish I could get a powder coated one but I think they are very expensive and they don’t have one with a larger window and screen which I wanted.