Use Olive oil to remove wood filler blotches DF wood?

Old 08-24-19, 01:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use Olive oil to remove wood filler blotches DF wood?

I used minwax and also DAP plastic wood filler natural stainable, to fill nail holes on VG Fir which I had pre-staind with one coat of Old Masters Oil based wiping stain prior.

I used these products because they stain matched on test wood the best.

Well in my tests I did not notice some "blotches" around the wood filler.

SO now I used the Dap on all the trim and porch columns to fill small nail holes, and I noticed blotching! I was using a wet rag to remove and smooth wood filler, because I did not want to sand the 1-coat Pre-stained wood. Tried using warm water and some gentle cleaners like dish soap and tried denatured alcohol, the only thing that removed it was Olive oil in a small test area, after witch I wiped off excess oil with a wet rag.

The problem is that I have 2 more coats of stain to apply, so I think the Stain will not penetrate properly (to match door) if I go ahead and clean all the blotches with olive oil?

And even if I did clean blotches, I would probably need to coat the entire wood surface? so that whatever reaction the stain does with the oil residue, it would be matching?

Kind of tempted because it looks so nice on the test area where I used the Olvie oil!!

but I may just live with blotches and hope the 2 more dark coats of stain I put on & 4 coats of spar Varnish (Exterior door (facing West in WA State) the blotches will not be noticed? ( I did a test area with 2 coats of stain & 1 coat of spar varnish, but I can still see the blotches at the right angle)

Any advice appreciated, as I have not stained or sealed over the blotches yet.. so maybe if there is a remedy to remove (besides sanding) the blotches?

Itried sanding on a test area and it looks worse.. I do not want to sand because it will lift the 1st coat of stain that was put on previously..

So its either use something that will remove blotches or just live with them..

I have heard the Romans used to use Olive oil on their exterior wood work..
Anybody advise? My main question is; should I use Olive oil to clean wood filler blotches?
Will it cause my 2 coats of oil stain to look excessively "oily" ? (Tyring to match trim to door)
Keeping in mind the oil could effect the 2 coats of oil based stain I need to apply after?
maybe it will not stain as dark if I used Olive oil?
Following that with 4-6 coats of spar varnish (exterior door facing west with sun exposure)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-19, 02:10 PM
Here is a pic with 2 coats of stain and 1 coat spar varnish.. (will have 4-6 coats of varnish total when finished)
I can see, depending on angle, the blotches around wood filler which look like a finger print or streak.
So just leave blotches?

Attached Images  
Old 08-24-19, 02:22 PM
Here is (The 3 nail holes on right) which had blotches before, which I REMOVED with OLIVE OIL!!
It looks great here now... and I am tempted to go ahead and clean all the "blotches" with olive oil, & coat the entire surface of the door trim, before I put 2 more coats of stain on? (Then 4-6 coats of spar Varnish on Exterior door which gets sun exposure from the West..
Again the reason I would coat the entire trim piece with oil (instead of just spot cleaning) is because I am worried about the reaction of stain to the oiled wood, so it would be better to to the entire surface in my mind?
I am just worried that the stain might not match the door (not in pic)
or that it will have an excessively "oily" shiny appearance from the oil? which would also not match the door.
So, leave blotches? and stain/varnish away?
OR use Olive oil & then stain/varnish?
Thanks for anyone input, if I find someone, who has used this not often heard of process

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-19, 02:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
Mineral spirits should remove the residue. Generally it's not a great idea to apply more than 1 coat of stain. You should get colored putty that's a closer match to the stained wood.

Old 08-26-19, 09:08 AM
Mineral spirits would not remove blotches.. Olive oil was the only thing I found that removed them.. but did not want to use because I am matching a finished door and it could have altered sheen. . The door was stained 3 times to match another interior door and looks great. 2nd coat of stain on trim looks great. 3rd coat today..

Old 08-29-19, 09:49 AM
Because I used 2 more coats of stain... the blotches are not too noticeable..

Old 08-29-19, 11:46 AM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
When you state "blotches" what exactly are you stating was remove, the filler used in the nail holes?

I would never use olive oil on wood work it's going to mess up the ability to stain and varnish the wood!

And agree, you want a colored putty or wax pencil to fill the nail holes!