Shutter Painting

Old 06-01-01, 06:18 AM
B
BGH
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

My new house is vinyl sided, which I love. The part I don't like are the shutters. They are your basic bland white, which I want to paint. However, some people have suggested just buying new ones because you might not be able to paint the shutters. The house only had shutters on the front, which is 3 windows - how many windows should have shutters?

Can I buy exterrior paint to use? The shutters are either plastic or some type of vinyl. I'm sure whichever would be cheapest. Should I use some type of primer like Zizners or Killz? The color I want to use probably won't be available as a standard color on new shutters, and I would also paint my front door that color, too.

Thanks in advance.

BGH

Old 06-06-01, 06:06 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
BGH, No problem painting the shutters but can't advise on how many your home should have. Most of the time shutters are used on all windows on the front only but do keep in mind I'm in the deeeep south so look around where you are. To paint, wash if needed and a very high quality paint like Sherwin-Willaims SuperPaint Exterior can go on without primer. I don't like to use flat without primer but doubt you will use that anyway. If using a paint you are unsure of prime with a good 100% acrylic latex primer rated for exterior use. Do not use any oil products on plastic or vinyl shutters....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: