Is regulator attachment required between compressor and paint sprayer

Old 09-07-19, 06:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is regulator attachment required between compressor and paint sprayer

I have a 125 psi (max) Central Pneumatic 21 gallon air compressor, which I plan to use with my 3M Accuspray spray gun (20 psi max) for painting furniture. The compressor's manual recommends including a Regulator (letter C in the picture) between the compressor and the spray gun. The Regulator is used to adjust "air pressure to the tool." But the compressor already has a pressure regulator (which I will set to 20 psi) and the spray gun has an air adjusting valve (letter H), for fine tuning airflow at the tool. Given that I already have two ways to regulate the air pressure to the tool - the pressure regulator on the compressor and the adjusting valve for the tool, is the Regulator (C) necessary? What additional value does it provide?

(Link to image ... I couldn't for the life of me get the Insert image html code to put the image in the post)

https://pasteboard.co/IwnyRn74.png

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-19, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
The regulator on the compressor is all you need. I would set it a little above 20 so that you can adjust the rest at the gun.

Old 09-08-19, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Depending on your climate you might want a water separator/trap. Air compressors can produce a lot of moisture, not too bad in dry climates but can be an issue when it's real humid.

Old 09-08-19, 04:53 AM
Received 393 Votes on 367 Posts
Air compressors can produce a lot of moisture,
I was building my shed in July, walls, sheeting, truss, decking, shingles and it was frigging hot and humid.

At the end of the month I emptied over a quart of water out of the tank and a much less amount out of the water separator but the clean out valves at each outlet were dry.

A water seperator is a must. all that water thru a tool is not good!

Also depending on what your painting (especially body work) they make disposable filters/dryers that catch the last bit of moisture/contamination!

Old 09-08-19, 07:34 AM
H
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
I also recommend considering a water separator at the tank to keep your airlines dry.

I STRONGLY recommend a small oil/water separator to the spray gun itself. The compact in-line style (HF $5.79 ) works quite well, just remove the quick-connect from the paint gun, use a male-male adapter to screw the separator into the paint gun, then screw a
female connector (not coupler) to the separator.

Old 09-08-19, 07:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Water separators work best if they are some distance from the tank although I have attached them to small portable compressors before. Here in tenn I don't get near as much moisture from my compressor as I did when I lived in fla.

Old 09-28-19, 02:11 PM
F
Thank you everyone. I will get a Filter (B) (for dirt and condensation) and an Air Cleaner / Dryer (G) (which I suspect is the "water separator" everyone is recommending). I won't get the Regulator (C) since the compressor has one.

And interesting that the diagram suggests having an air hose, then the adapters (filter, air cleaner / dryer, etc., then another hose, and then the sprayer. That's a lot of hose, and also goes against the suggestions I'm reading that the air cleaner / dryer should be as close to the sprayer as possible.

Last edited by f0xtrot; 09-28-19 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 03:53 PM
Received 393 Votes on 367 Posts
I'm reading that the air cleaner / dryer should be as close to the sprayer as possible.
All that "stuff" is at the end of your hard lines (assuming the garage/shop has them) then the connection of the hose to the final tool/gun/sprayer!

Old 09-29-19, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Compressed air is hot, the further it gets from the air compressor, the more it cools and the more effective any moisture trap/filter will be. I prefer a filter and regulator at the end of the hard piping but it depends on how you are set up.

Old 10-13-19, 09:30 AM
F
I guess I should add I don't have any hard pipes; this is a portable set up I'm putting together. The diagram I'm following that came with the compressor is the one used for a portable set up for non-lubricated tools. Which is why when the filter (B) and air cleaner / dryer (G) arrived, I thought, "Holy cow these are heavy. I'll need to hang these on something when using the hose." And the instructions for air cleaner / dryer (G) (same one shown in the diagram) told me to "mount it ...", which you obviously wouldn't do with a portable setup.