did I make wrong choice of paint for AZEK Trim Board (PVC Board)

Old 09-08-19, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
did I make wrong choice of paint for AZEK Trim Board (PVC Board)

I recently bought a AZEK Trim Board PVC Board like the one shown at https://www.lowes.com/pd/AZEK-Actual...ard/1000511163 Later, I bought some paint to put on it. After buying the paint, I noticed something on Lowe's website about painting this product. It said, "If you choose to paint, use 100% acrylic latex paint with an LRV of 55 or higher." At that point, I did not know the LRV (Light Reflective Value) of the paint I had bought. But, I later some information about the paint at https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/MQ1-56 And, now I wonder whether I will not get good coverage with this paint since it has an LRV of only 18 (according to the information at https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/MQ1-56)

I bought two of these trim boards to replace two natural wood boards, which are deteriorating, on the corner of the house.

Last edited by dderolph; 09-08-19 at 05:08 PM. Reason: additional comment
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-19, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Oh you will get great coverage. The problem is that its too dark. You arent supposed to paint azek dark colors, as it gets to hot and is prone to far too much expansion and contraction. That's why Azek sets a limit on how dark the paint is supposed to be. You can get some colors mixed to be Vinyl-safe, (tints using a formulation that gives it a higher LRV) but not just any color. Google Sherwin Williams Vinylsafe.

Old 09-08-19, 05:43 PM
Well, changing to a lighter color might not be an option. I live in one side of a duplex (I own my side, the neighbor owns his) and the original exterior color scheme (trim, gutters/downspouts, garage doors, siding,etc) was the same on both sides. The paint I bought is already a bit lighter in color than the original (applied by the builder). My neighbor and I have agreed not to make major departures from the original color scheme but, at the same time, allow some leeway for some variation in color scheme when either of us does some repainting.

Now, I'm thinking perhaps I should return the AZEK Trim Board PVC Board and buy some boards made from regular lumber. This is what the builder used in the original construction. Of course, the natural lumber won't last as long but I think it will outlast my ownership of the home.

Edit: The original boards are about 29 1/2 years old; they are deteriorating now but have still lasted a long time.

Last edited by dderolph; 09-08-19 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added comment at end
Old 09-08-19, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
That might be smart. Cedar will be the best type of wood if you can get it smooth. You could also look at LP Smarttrim if you don't mind the texture. Or Boral if you can find it.

Old 09-08-19, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the tips on other material options.

Old 09-09-19, 02:00 PM
I see I identified the product incorrectly. The product I bought is a different brand but it's still PVC board. So, I guess the same issue regarding expansion and contraction applies. The product I bought is Royal Building Products (Actual: 0.75-in x 7.25-in x 8-ft) Common PVC Board. Although the specifications stated on the web page for this product do not mention the LRV factor, the product is still PVC board, so I guess it would present the same issue.