which side of cedar board to turn outward for corner trim

Old 09-10-19, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
which side of cedar board to turn outward for corner trim

I need to replace two corner trim boards that have deteriorated due to age and exposure to weather. I bought two cedar boards (see https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-in...ard/1000456689 ) They have a rough cut on one side and a fairly smooth cut on the other side.

With the original boards, the rough-cut side was turned outward, and painted. But, I am wondering whether turning smooth side (on the new boards) outward is OK.

I will be painting the boards, as were the original boards.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-19, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
It depends on the look you want, if you want the wood to be smooth put the smooth side out, if you prefer rough sawn - use that side. IMO the main consideration should be which side best matches the rest of the house.

Old 09-10-19, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
OK, so, if I turned the smooth side outward on the corner where these boards will be installed, I should replace some other corner trim (where rough side faces outward) so that it has the same texture facing outward. So, installing the new corner with the rough side out will save some labor and money. Therefore, I think I'll keep the rough texture facing outward.

I was wondering whether having the smooth side outward would make the lumber last longer, whether it would dry sooner when exposed to rain. Your thoughts on that?

Old 09-10-19, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
Actually the rough texture will hold paint better. Be sure you use oil primer on the cedar, since it has tannins that will bleed thru and stain most latex primers.