Primer over paint?

Old 10-15-19, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Primer over paint?

I had my garage painted recently, and the contractor didn't do the greatest job (hardly used any primer, if any, on the new drywall). I would like to add another coat or two to ensure the paint job lasts. Would it be beneficial to prime over the existing paint then apply a coat of exterior paint, or should I just apply another coat of paint? Is there some product (i.e. additive) on the market that can add some durability to the walls so if/when I bump them I don't end up with a bunch of chips over time? The paint color is darker, so it is very noticeable when this happens. I was hoping that by using gray primer in combination with a high quality exterior grade paint (Sherwin Williams) that any paint chips wouldn't be as noticeable, but they are. You can literally scrape the paint off with a finger nail. Not really the durability I was expecting. Another reason I question whether they primed is they only used 1/3rd of one gallon to prime 800 sq ft of new drywall. No clue how that's even remotely possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-19, 09:27 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
The PVA primer is rally there to seal the drywall and mud joints, with min primer the paint just soaks in and doesn't provide good finish, it doesnt add a lot to the durability of the paint but it really helps with the finish.

PVA usually covers about 400sq ft per gallon so they didnt do that right!

Now that you have something on the wall adding primer isnt going to do a lot, so just add another coat of paint!

Old 10-15-19, 09:56 AM
Okay. You can see and feel where the joints are the primer/paint is so thin. I'll just add another coat then.

Old 10-15-19, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
PVA primer is the cheapest form of drywall primer and isn't suited for much other than under flat paint. But no way will 1/3 gallon prime that much drywall even if it was thinned down.

If I had any concerns I'd apply a coat of Zinnser's Gardz - it will seal the wall. Otherwise another coat of decent quality paint should be enough to make it look good. Latex paint can take a week or two to cure to it's hardest.

Old 10-15-19, 05:48 PM
Like paint PVA primer comes in different grades.

Two coats of top quality primer, with a light sanding after each, followed by 2 coats of really good paint and your on your way to a perfect paint job.

Don't cheap out on the tools, good quality brushes and rollers are a vital part!

Just think how much your saving over having someone else paint yet your using top quality materials that will make that paint job last for many many years!

Old 10-16-19, 02:33 PM
Wait, so are you saying apply a couple coats of primer over top of the existing paint, then two more coats of paint? Or that is how it should have been initially?

I like the idea of applying some sort of sealer over what is there now, then adding a coat or two over top. I want these walls to be as durable as possible.

Old 10-16-19, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
IMO there is little to be gained by applying 2 coats of primer over drywall [even if before the paint was applied] Generally primer over paint doesn't make the top coat any more durable. Gardz and maybe a few other specialty primers will suck into the existing paint a little and may make the top coat more washable.

Wall paint doesn't typically chip, usually it's what is under that chips bringing the paint with it. Most any quality paint should be durable although no latex paint will be armor proof.

Old 10-16-19, 05:39 PM
Or that is how it should have been initially?

------------------------- Yes! =============