Paint and primer in one?

Old 10-27-19, 09:04 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cool Paint and primer in one?

New drywall going up. Will I get decent coverage if I use two coats of paint and primer in one or should I use a primer and paint two coats of regular wall paint?

joecaption voted this post useful.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-19, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The Pro's will tell you...you are better off using a primer over new sheetrock, mud, and tape. The primer/paint combos I've used are fine for repaints....but it's mostly just hype.

Use primer and you may be able to just use one topcoat....but you'll like the results better with 2.

Too many people think primer is to hide color changes...but it's really just to give the topcoat a good surface to adhere to. Unless you use one of the stainblocking primers....which shouldn't be needed in your case.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 10-28-19, 01:30 AM
M
Separate primer and paint it is then

Thanks so much for your help. I pretty much figured that the drywall would soak up a lot of paint so a separate primer would be in order. Then two coats of paint it is. I appreciate the confirmation.

Old 10-28-19, 02:26 AM
Received 190 Votes on 177 Posts
For all it's worth, I always use 2 coats of good primer, even the best primer is still cheaper than good paint and with only one coat it will still soak in thus you are loosing some of the coverage from the paint!

Nothing is one coat, it's all a sales tactic!

Old 10-28-19, 02:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
Normally 1 coat of primer is sufficient for new drywall. The primer's job is to seal the substrate and provide a good base for the top coat. While most any primer is ok under flat paint, latex enamels benefit from a better primer. An extra coat of paint is more beneficial than an extra coat of primer.

As noted above 'primer in the paint' is more marketing than fact. Normally those paints are sold for repaints where priming isn't normally needed. When a primer is needed, a dedicated primer tailored for the job at hand is always better.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-01-19, 04:18 PM
D
Interesting. When I bought a can of semi-gloss for a bathroom wall, the can said "primer included."
When I went back to Lowes to buy another can of that paint, told them I didn't need the primer and wanted one without primer, as I paint first with primer, then 2 coats.
The clerk said most paint includes primer now.
Wonder if that is true.

Old 12-01-19, 05:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
I look at it this way - paint and primer have two entirely different jobs. If the same can contains both, won't each be inferior to a separate can containing only one or the other? I buy primer when I need to prime and paint when I need to paint.

Old 12-02-19, 01:12 AM
When I went back to Lowes
And once again another consumer is duped by the part time idiot working at the paint department at a local big box store!

Seriously folks, need to go to a real paint store for better products and advice!

Old 12-02-19, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
Primer in the paint is more marketing ploy than anything else. Most repaints do not require a primer but the primer marketers did a good job of convincing the public that all paint jobs need a primer. When you need a primer a separate dedicated primer is best.

Old 12-02-19, 04:10 AM
Received 137 Votes on 125 Posts
And now to add insult to injury there is now a spackling compound that contains primer!

With respect to Marq's comment, for the day to day home repair or minor repairs and small projects, the small hardware/home improvement stores are usually very good at providing service. It's not always practical to go to a plumbing supply house, or an electrical supply outlet, or a dedicated paint store for good info or product.

Although we are not a big box store but similar to such places as ACE hardware or Do-It-Best hardware stores or True Value hardware, we pride ourselves in giving the customer true facts and accurate information. The small independent franchise home improvement stores are usually a lot more reliable than the big box and although may not be the experts on a particular product (paint, plumbing, electrical, etc...), they do provide better and more helpful info.

I for one will talk a customer out of buying a product if I know it won't work. That includes such items as drain cleaners, paint and primer (without a separate primer coat), Rustolium deck coats, Garbage disposals, various salts for winter, etc...Almost all come back to buy product and get good info. Much of the info I give out is from this forum .

And because of our training and mentor-ship from the older guys like myself, our young "kids" are very good at providing customer service and proper information.

Old 12-02-19, 09:33 AM
It's not always practical to go to a plumbing supply house, or an electrical supply outlet, or a dedicated paint store for good info or product.
So the comment was specific to paint, nothing more!

s long as I've participated on this site paint quality and paint advise from the big box stores has dominated the rants and raves of posters.

I fully agree that the independent stores do a great job, but history indicates that what is going on at the paint departments at BBS is lacking!