covering red oil based paint

Old 06-04-01, 04:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We just bought a house in which the previous owner loved red paint. I'm planning to repaint. What should I clean the masonite siding and cedar posts with - siding cleaner or TSP or a bleach mixture? What's the best thing to cover the red paint with - will Kilz do it? Can I use a coat of Kilz and then use latex paint?

Thanks for your help!

joanb

Old 06-06-01, 06:47 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
joanb, First do not use KILZ outside. It is not rated for exterior use. The only reason you would need an oil primer is if you feel the paint may be oil or there is some kind of wild stains or heavy mildew. My choice for washing is TSP because it cleans and dulls the paint a little. If you feel that what is on the house now is latex two coats of good latex house paint should be fine.....Mike

Old 06-06-01, 08:57 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
I agree with Mike,

I would add that red, tho' it appears a strong and indeed it is a saturated colour is weak in hiding and covering properties. It'll take less QUALITY paint than you'd think to cover it up. On the other hand it'll take a lot more red to cover anything than you'd imagine. Yellows are much the same. No worries for you, clean the surface and follow Mikes advice.

sonnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: