Semi-gloss paint issues on doors/trim

Old 01-24-20, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Semi-gloss paint issues on doors/trim

Hi. My wife and I have painted various doors/trim/molding in semi-gloss BM (I don't recall any other details as to the type of paint, whether it was natura, etc...). It's whatever they would have sold us in the local paint store.

I also don't recall if we did any light sanding, or only used (at least on some doors) some kind of sticky paint substance which the paint store said was even better than sanding/priming.

In any case, whatever we did/used worked out great. The doors/trim are quite smooth, a perfect shine, and simply feel nice and smooth and shiny when touched.

We recently hired a painter to paint our upstairs hallway, as there are 6 total doors (bedrooms/bathroom/closet) and the associated trim. This was too much for us to take on.

The painter, I believe, did a lot of sanding of the doors to prep them, and then I think simply put on two coats of semi-gloss paint (BM Ultra Spec 500 interior semi gloss). This is definitely not what we used, but again I don't know exactly what we used.

Problem is, all of the doors/trim that they painted feel terrible. They also don't look quite as good. They look a bit grainy, and I can't quite tell if the old color is coming through a bit (old color was beige, new color is simply white). As for feel, they feel closer to the matte finish on our walls, not a semi-gloss. There's simply no ifs ands or buts, they are just not right.

Painter says of course they are fine, he used semi-gloss, blah-blah-blah...

Before I have him come back again (having given everything a few more days to fully dry/acclimate/whatever (so he can have no excuse such as 'well they weren't fully dry the other day...' or whatever), I wanted to ask here what you think may have gone wrong.

I'm thinking that he sanded too much and then didn't prime, so that the paint was overly absorbed. Just my unprofessional guess.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-20, 06:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
A primer would only been needed if he sanded down thru the paint and exposed raw wood. If he sanded and didn't remove the sanding dust that dust could have been distributed into the paint. Would the grainy look be from dry brushing ??

Old 01-24-20, 06:59 AM
I know that for the doors (at least part of the doors), he used a small roller. The doors have 6 panels and I'm not sure if he used a roller to get into the 'grooves' or a brush.

It's possible he didn't remove dust. They also did a lot of compounding/sanding of the walls, after fixing a lot of nailheads that were sticking out, so there could have been a lot of dust.

He's a normally very good professional (I forgot to mention that we used him once several years ago), but perhaps for some reason he was rushing this time... I just checked and the little bit of trim he did years ago is much better.

I'll have to get him back out here.

Old 01-24-20, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
A roller won't give as slick of a finish as a brush normally does. Some of the cheaper roller covers [especially when new] will shed lint as you use them so those are other possibilities. I suspect the fix will be a light sanding and another coat of enamel [possibly thinned a little]

Old 01-24-20, 07:13 AM
Thanks. Hopefully when he comes back out he'll agree that it's not right and won't give me a hard time. I really don't want to have to fix it myself...