Painting over stained cabinets

Old 02-03-20, 08:15 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting over stained cabinets

I'm just getting started on this project. I used a deglosser and did some light sanding with 220 grit paper. But the problem is it took at least 5 or 6 coats of white for the dark stain not to show thru. I started with about 3 coats of KILZ and the rest were finish coats. Does anyone have any tips to help cut back on how many coats I need to apply????

I did notice that using a brush vs a roller was getting better coverage, so I think I will do my primer coats using just a brush and see if that helps.

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-20, 09:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I always use an oil based stain blocking primer like Zinsser Cover Stain. Water based formulations from any manufacturer just don't work as well.

Old 02-03-20, 09:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ditto on using a solvent based primer, it insures good adhesion.

I normally apply 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of enamel with a light sanding between coats. Better quality paints cover better than the cheaper ones. I suppose the skill of the applicator plays a part too.

Old 02-03-20, 10:06 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good tip. The "Cover Stain" product says you don't need to sand. Do you sand when you do stained cabinets?

Old 02-03-20, 01:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
A light scuff sanding is never a bad idea, just be careful not to sand through any layer.

Old 02-13-20, 02:33 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We are also planning on painting our cabinets white soon. Although they are a natural stain color, not dark like this. I was planning on using an hlvp sprayer and spraying at least the doors. May end up rolling or brushing the actual cabinets themselves unless I get brave and want to tarp the entire house. Should I worry about sanding in between coats on the doors if I am spraying them? I've done a few other spray jobs before and it's turned out pretty good, but I know a good sanding in between coats can go a long way toward a smooth finish.

Old 02-14-20, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It all depends on the cabinets and your painting if sanding between coats will be required. One of the most important things is a through cleaning before you start. The tops of doors and top sides of any detail can collect an oily, dirty film that needs to be removed from painting. Oil based primers are more tolerant of grease and oil left behind so I would start there.

Old 02-14-20, 07:58 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It all depends on the cabinets and your painting if sanding between coats will be required. One of the most important things is a through cleaning before you start. The tops of doors and top sides of any detail can collect an oily, dirty film that needs to be removed from painting. Oil based primers are more tolerant of grease and oil left behind so I would start there.
Thanks, yeah we plan on scrubbing them real good and giving them a light sanding before hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: