painting over formica counter top??

Old 06-07-01, 07:27 AM
julia
Visiting Guest

Is it possible to successfully paint over a textured formica counter top? what type of paint and primer would I use?

Thank You.

Old 06-08-01, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I would suggest that you do not paint over a formica countertop. It can be done but is best done by a professional painter with experience in using high durability two component systems and who is very good at using spray equipment. Formica is a trade name for a laminate made under pressure from a couple of different plastic resins. It is very durable and will withstand a lot of kitchen abuse. Only the best industrial paints can come close formica and then it will not be the same. You would be dissapointed and would prefer to have formica or similar material.

Old 06-15-01, 11:57 PM
Visiting Guest
check out the christopher lowell website, he has a recipe for painting over the formica using kilz primer and polyurethane, i did it and it looks great, the only thing is that it will not be durable for a long period of time. since i did it only to be able to live with my kitchen for 2 years i think it will be fine.

Old 06-16-01, 11:12 AM
julia
Visiting Guest
Paiting over a textured formica counter top;

Thank You painter member; Post 1

Thank You also to Angeni Post 11

Painting my formica counter top would only be a temporary fix.

Thank You for your input.

Sincerly Julia.

Old 06-17-01, 03:47 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Doesn't have to be all that temporary. check out
http://www.benjaminmoore.com
Their site has a decorative finish section that describes refinishing formica that you might find helpful.

sonnie

Old 06-19-01, 06:54 AM
julia
Visiting Guest
Refinishing formica conter top;

Thank You Sonnie for posting the Benjaminmoore web site. I will check this site for information on refinishing formica counter tops.

I appreciate your input.

This is a wonderfull web site for help.

Thank`s Again!

Old 08-08-01, 07:03 PM
Visiting Guest
counter top fix

Julie,

If you haven't done your counter top, I have the answer for you. Start with sanding lightly to remove dirt and grease. Then prime with"Fresh Start" by Benjamin moore, then I used a special paint...it started with a "k". It was made for this purpose. Then I sealed it with a polyurathan. It has been 10 years and the only mark on it was a knife cut from my son...one month after I completed it. If your interested, I will find the name of the paint I used. I don't have it handy right now.

Old 10-08-08, 01:17 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not Julie, however, I would like to know the name of the paint that started with a K if you could find that. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Also, does anybody know of a website that has designs for painting your tile on the wall of your bathroom??

Thanks!
Millie

Old 10-08-08, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Millie the thread is 7 years old....

lemme see if I can find the recent one.....there was a lady who did a similar thing and was very pleased.

Jeez...no joy...try posting a new question in the appropriate forum....sorry.

Old 10-08-08, 03:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile painting countertops

You might want to take a look here.... countertoptransfauxmations.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: