Benjamin Moore vs Sherwin Williams

Old 02-14-20, 06:48 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Benjamin Moore vs Sherwin Williams

I've been using SW but just not totally happy with the results and ease of application. Switched to Ben Moore and was extremely happy with the ceiling paint.

I will be trying the Ben Moore Regal on the walls next.

I had some SW Emerald leftover so I thinned it with XIM latex extender, used a 14" 1/2" nap Wooster roller and applied a bit heavier than I would like and it turned out nice.

So I finally get the hang of SW and now I'm going to change. I was just so impressed with the Ben Moore I have to give it a try on the walls.

Just wanted to share my findings.

Old 02-15-20, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
BM's better coatings have always been thought of as a little better than SWP's comparable coatings. The down side is BM often costs a little more and their stores might not be as handy.

Old 02-15-20, 03:46 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
We are repainting entire house currently from 12 years ago which was all Pratt Lambert and it has held up extremely well but now that kids are in college we need a color and touch up change.

We used SW for basement finish, it was ok but finish quality was not great/

Used some BM trim paint, it was ok but required a 16 hour recoat period so never again.

Pratt Lambert is by far the best paint I have ever used!

Old 02-15-20, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only used P&L paints occasionally and don't know much about their product lines. Have no complaints with what I have used. Both SWP and BM have multiple lines of paint - great, good and not so good. Both have some coatings that are as good or better than the competition.

Old 02-15-20, 06:39 AM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I had a paint discussion with a chemical engineer (PhD) a few years back. He told me that the paint industry has changed so much that today, regardless of brand, if you buy their premium paint there is no significant difference between them. So if you can get any high end paint for a good price that is the one you should buy. Since I switched to premium paints exclusively, I can now vouch for his advice. :-)

Old 02-15-20, 04:55 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Technically there might not be any differences but I can tell you I saw a huge difference between the SW ceiling paint and the Ben Moore ceiling paint. Both premium paints. I'll see how the Ben Moore works out and if I still have concerns, I'll try the P&L at the suggestions here.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Old 02-15-20, 05:36 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
For cabinet paint, we have had better results with the BM Advance than the Emerald enamel. The Advance is more scratch resistant, but the Emerald goes on much smoother.

Old 02-16-20, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ceiling paints aren't really a premium paint, some might be better than others but since ceilings see no real wear they aren't formulated the same as wall paints.

I haven't used Advance but with SWP I use ProClassic waterborne for both trim and cabinets with great results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: