Interior painting / cutting questions.

Old 02-26-20, 06:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior painting / cutting questions.

Hello,
Many years ago, in my very first painting project I re-painted basement walls in my townhouse from white to ruby using Behr eggshell. I started with the smallest wall. I put first coat of paint and it looked very bad. The color was very uneven with visible roller stripes. Next day I put second coat. It was a little better, but still not good. Then my coworker suggested to use primer tinted to paint color as a first coat. I used this technique and it worked just fine. It also was less expensive. Since then, in all my home painting projects I always used tinted primer as a first coat and paint, usually flat, as a second coat. But recently, two different people suggested me not to use primer anymore, but use two coats of paint as a better solution. I am going to repaint one of my bedrooms and thinking about using two coats of eggshell paint with no primer.

My questions are:

1. Is it really better to use two coats of paint instead of one coat of tinted primer and one coat of paint?
2. Should I cut edges (paint edges with a brush) twice, once before each coat?
3. Should I wait after cutting for paint to dry before starting painting a wall with a roller?

Thanks in advance,

Igor

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-20, 06:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
#1 - it depends on both the paint being used and what color change there is.
#2 - I generally roll the first coat of paint and then cut in - it's quicker that way. On the 2nd coat I'll cut in first.
#3 - While it's best to roll to a wet edge, many paints do well if the cut in has already dried. It's the in between that can cause problems - rolling over tacky paint can sometimes lift the cut in paint.

Old 02-26-20, 08:42 AM
M
Received 158 Votes on 145 Posts
I would say that two coats of paint are better that one of primer and one of paint as long as the wall has already been painted and you are using the same type of paint.

I roll first then cut in then roll again and cut in again. I found that if I cut in first I end up cutting down way to far so am wasting paint.. I can get to a couple inches of the ceiling so there is no use cutting in further down the wall. Also I can see what the finished will look like re: do I need to feather the paint down a little further.

Never has a problem with this by the time I finish the rolling the paint is dry enough to start the edging in.
But yes wait till it is dry. Painting over partially dried paint is never a good idea as it can change the finish of the paint and with oil paints can causes crackling.

As far as brush marks keep the support side of the roller on the unpainted area of the wall. If a paint ridge is going to happen it will be on that side bust when you paint over it the other end of the roller will smooth these out. Also go over the painted area with very little pressure on the roller as you progress around the room.
Even doing all of this some paints are prone to show roller marks.

Old 02-26-20, 09:34 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
So the first issue was that you used a really cheap paint, just do a little search on this site and read all the horror stories regarding Behr paint, paint is something you absolutely get what you pay for!

You only need primer on new walls, the only time you need primer is for any spots that were repaired then you need to roll them with a couple coats of primer so they dont suck up the paint and it adds some texture to the wall so that flat repair doesn't stand out.

You can cut in the edges and pretty much roll right afterward, no need to let it dry, the only time I have seen issues with that was when someone painted over a gloss and didn't knock the gloss off by sanding and it lifted the paint. You will want to get your roller into that cut in as much as possible since the roller puts down a different texture than a brush.

Two coats is pretty much the standard, dont fall for the "one coat" statement, the only time I get away with one coat is if I'm refreshing up a wall using the same paint & color.

Paint coats: first coat is for color, get everything covered evenly, second coat you want to concentrate on finish, paint the entire wall top to bottom at same time to keep that wet edge moving along, this is the coat that will make the wall look perfect!