Latex paint on wooden door absorbed differently

Old 03-26-20, 02:53 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latex paint on wooden door absorbed differently

I am painting our interior doors using latex paint with a paint gun, after drying for more than 6 hours I continue to see paint in different tones, not sure what to call it but will try to add pictures. It seems like it is absorbed differently and I fear I may have gone too far with the sanding.

I added one coat of primer in between of sanding and painting, I also tried adding a couple of extra coat of paint.

Has anyone bumped into something like this? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-20, 03:43 PM
Received 234 Votes on 221 Posts
I continue to see paint in different tones,
Do you mean, the sheen of the paint?

Yes it's possible that different sheens could be seen depending on what was, or was not done to the finish. If the door had paint and areas were sanded then the sanded area could soak up the paint more than the unsanded areas which could be visible.

Spraying probable is not helping, if you were to use a roller the paint thickness would be much greater and less obvious!

Old 03-26-20, 06:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching pictures

Thanks Marq1 for your quick reply! I am attaching some pictures to show what I am referring to. I have done 3 spray coats on this one, do you think painting with a roller or brush might help?

Attached Images    
Old 03-27-20, 05:00 AM
Received 234 Votes on 221 Posts
All I can suggest is that you try one, the film coat with a roller will be many times thicker than spraying plus you will have a little bit of texture that will blend across the door.

I also cant state enough regarding the quality of the paint, anything from the big box stores is crap, plus I'll bet you have had to thin to get it to spray,

Old 03-27-20, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 176 Posts
Due to recent eye surgery I am unable to tell anything from the pics but it sounds like an overspray issue. When overspray lands on tacky paint it often makes that area duller and sometimes it won't be as smooth.