soffit painting

Old 04-09-20, 05:14 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
soffit painting

we have painted the exterior of or house and need to paint the aluminum soffit to match. The soffit has small holes for ventilation. I am concerned if I paint them the holes will clog and cause ventilation issues. I have tried spay paint in an area a few years back in an attempted to overcome clogged holes but it has not held up well. Any suggestions on painting this to minimize clogged vent holes?

Old 04-09-20, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
I put up quite a bit of soffit and honestly, I dont know that I'd worry about it too much. Aluminum soffit isn't air tight, it fits loosely in the j channel in back and the front edge is loosely covered by the fascia cover. Pretty sure you will still have air flow no matter what.

Most houses I work on, the top of the old vented aluminum soffit is all covered with lint anyway so it's not doing much ventilating as it is if it's more than a few years old.

I think renting a spray rig is your best bet.

Old 04-10-20, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I agree with spraying the soffit. The odds are if a previous aluminum soffit paint job didn't hold up it was because of either poor prep or no prep.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: